Chapter 1

Crunch goes the leaves as I walk further from my tree hollow. I sniff the air as the cold wind hits me, I shiver.

No fur or thick cloth to cover me, I wish I was a good hunter. That way I could have provided for mother....She didn't get to teach me before coming down with sickness.

I have nowhere to go and I know no one. I have become the nothing I was told I was.

Sighing, I brush my hair with my hands and look a round for the path to the pond. Not the cleanest place to bathe but I have to make do.

Once I get there, take my ragged potato bag shirt off and kneel. Looking into the water, I see the body I've always hated. Thin from starvation and pale from lack of sunlight. Usually the weather is poor and since I live in a tree burrow, the cold is insulated. That would be a good thing if I had a proper heat source.

I digress, I work on washing my arms and my chest. I take a minute to cover my chest with my hands and shiver more.

"It too cold....I'll do this some other time.", I give up on bathing.

Putting my shirt back on, I stand. Only to hear shouting in a distance. I rush towards the sound, which seemed like cries for help and distress.

" Hey! Whose there? Are you okay?", I shout back.

"If I'm screaming, that means it dangerous duh! Don't get any closer, I'm stuck.", the voice says as I stand a few feet a way.

The scene in front of me is odd.

A tall young man is hanging upside down by a rope trap on a tree. He's wearing green and has a brown hair. He looks so done with the situation.

"Help me down."

With a drop of sweat, I walk closer to the man. I ask him how he liked to get down.

"There's cutting the rope and you fall, I lower you down or I put something under you and you untie yourself."

"Seeing how you don't look strong, put something under me and hand me the scissors in my bag."

"Okay."

Digging though his bag, I finally found the sliver pair. I hand them over and observe the surrounding.

"I don't see anything I could use to hold your weight."

"I think there's a few blankets and two pillows. Put them under me and I'll cut myself down."

Doing as told, I watch the man fall on his butt and wince in pain. I stare at him until he noticed me. He stands up right a way.

"Thank you.", he brushes himself off.

"How'd this happen?"

"Rabbits eating my bait and I chased them."

"Oh...hey, I'm Tom."

"I'm Edd."

"Can you teach me how to hunt?"

It's obvious he owes me, so why not make the best of it?

"...", he says nothing and looks me over, judging.

"I think it would be best if you came into town instead."

"Why?", I tilt my head.

"Because it's dangerous for you out here and you look hungry."

I roll my eyes.

"I'm fine.", as I say this my stomach interrupts us.

"I have food."

"Okay.", I say eagerly.

---------------

BYE~