Chapter 9

I am so sorry I couldn't write the chapter for however long we got our midterms on thursday and Ive been working really hard all week so yeah here is the next chapter I will try and update more often just to make it up I am going to write a few chapters today also overnight we got a foot of snow talk about insane its been snowing all day and It doesnt show signs of stopping so Christmas is going to come for Elizabeth and James early (in the next chapter) also I think they are going to have their wedding some time around christmas so yeah Happy readings :) 

James and I walked greeting some of our friends in one of the soda shops we use to stop by at with them we saw everyone and instantly were greeted with hugs I was taller than most of the girls and Edwin, who was pretty short “What have you two been up two” Mary smirked at me in our hugs “why would you think that?” I asked not about to admit yesterday in a million years “Because you are glowing” she laughed “What do you want me to say?” I laughed as I walked over to Nancy who already was going to have her first baby and congratulated her the first bit of news shared was that James and I were getting married I was surprised that everyone stayed together for so long, especially Mary suddenly I heard the sound of music, the new soda shop we were in had a jukebox I laughed and did a twirl in a circle with my new Hawaiian print dress, I didn't have a clue where Hawaii was, actually none of us did but if everyone wore these dresses then it must be a very nice place, apparently its some sort of island in the US. As soon as I did a twirl in my dress James ran to me and picked me up spinning me in a circle Nancy and Mary sure were enjoying the thrill of laughing it up at me, until their partners ran up to them and did the same causing them to scream and giggle, We all started to dance to the music being played at a high speed jive soon other people in the shop like men who were recently fighting in the war and their wives and soon the whole place was doing the jive we walked through the street when were done laughing and talking in the street when a boy ran up to me with a letter I leaned down to the mail boy who lived down the street so I knew him well “Timmy why are you here?” I asked taking the letter “Urgent letter from the hospital couldn't be avoided” He said handing it to me I took it and opened it then read it with James, Nancy and Mary peeking over my shoulder 

Dear Elizabeth,

Your mama is in the hospital with some disease they call tuberculosis they say she wont last long and she is coughing up blood I’m afraid that she will die very soon they have already prepared for the worst but we both know that old hag will live through almost anything but this time I really am not sure I am not allowed to go in the room luckily I tested negative to it so I am fine you may want to be tested as well and anyone you know though you do get tested often because you work in health care come as soon as you can all the doctors have masks on when they see her and you may be able to see her for her final hours so please come as soon as you can if you don't I fear Mama might escape the hospital to come and beat you up with her skillet. 

-With love,

Papa 

When I finished reading it I burst into tears James who had also lived with Mama and Papa also started to shed tears Mary and Nancy worked to comfort me as I stared at the letter but before anyone could say anything I grabbed James’s hand and ran the two of us to the hospital to see Mama. When we got there we were greeted by a panicked Papa who was crying and looked about 10 years older since when I saw him last though it had only been a few months instantly greeted by a hug and my papa crying on my shoulder I looked through a glass window to see mama taking her last shaky breaths mama saw me and placed her hand on the window and I placed mine by hers her eyes drifted down to my finger that held on it a gold ring and she smiled I pointed over to James as she grinned Papa smiled after Mama pointed it out suddenly she started coughing up chunks of blood then she stopped and laid down her eyes layering over with a glassy look to them Papa suddenly ran over to the window and looked she was gone a doctor ran into the room but then confirmed Papa’s fear, mama was dead the doctor placed his fingers over her eyes then closed them in a simple movement, mama looked older than she once did her black hair had stripes of grey in it her cheeks were pale and grey her face was starting to form creases in it and her hands had wrinkles all over them papa had started to cry and James was comforting him he sat in a chair at the window until we left and I cried in James arms all the way back to our flat he sat me on the couch and stroked my hair suddenly I looked into his eyes and he hugged me pulling my head into his chest “sorry if I’m getting your shirt soaked” I said under a sniffle “Any time you need to” he said holding me next to him “I love you” I whispered “I love you to” he responded “I guess god only gives us so long to make an impact on the world and we must cherish the time we have got” I said looking up then kissing him he kissed back then we fell asleep with the radio still on lightly playing in the background.