Chapter Ten "Mr Mechanic"

We walked for about an hour. My legs were still sore from walking so long yesterday, but it was easier to manage on a full stomach.

At this rate, I'll have my summer body by the end of the week.

By the time we arrived at the mechanic's it was already four in the evening. We were cutting daylight close.

The shop looked like it was in better shape than Jeff's Auto Shop, which I was enthusiastic about. I hoped we'd have better luck here than there. The building was smaller than Jeff's, but newer looking. There was a black truck sitting in front of the garage, the tires dirty with sand. There was a sign that said AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR SHOP in big red letters above the doors.

The four of us walked inside, the door hitting a small bell hanging from the ceiling. The room looked bigger on the inside than it did on the outside. There were different cars around the place, some hanging from a contraption that lifted them off the ground, but all of them seemed to have a problem. One looked like it was crushed by a steamroller. There was a desk on the far wall ahead of us and there was someone sitting behind it.

"Excuse me?" Abby tapped the bell sitting on the desk.

The guy behind it was leaning back on a chair, his feet sitting on the desk. He had a Playboy magazine in his hands as he chewed on a toothpick. He was wearing a navy blue jumpsuit with a name tag that read Greyson on it. He couldn't be much older than me, probably between twenty and twenty-two.

He looked up, his eyes falling on me immediately. They roamed me up and down, taking in my characteristics; I shifted my weight to my left leg.

"What can I do you for, sweetheart?" He smirked, putting his magazine on the desk and dropping his feet on the floor.

"Our car broke down and we need someone to fix it." Abby told him, his eyes moving to her at the sound of her voice.

"What happened to it?"

Abby scoffed. "If we knew, we wouldn't be here, now would we?"

He rolled his eyes at her.

"What kind of car is it?"

"1960's pickup truck?" Nick answered him and his eyebrows shot up.

"Whoa, seriously? Where'd you get one of those?" Greyson's eyes fell back on me for a reason I don't know.

"We're renting it from a guy in Reno. Can you just fix it?" Owen spoke up and Greyson rolled his eyes.

"Fine, but it's going to cost you." He told us.

I dug into my back pocket and pulled out the wad of cash. "How's one-fifty?"

His eyes fell on me and he smirked. "That'll do." He stood up as I counted out the money.

I handed it to him and stuck the fifty dollars back into my pocket for safe keeping. He counted it out, licking his finger before flipping through the bills.

"All right, where's the car?"

I look at Abby and she looked down at the ground.

"It broke down a few miles back."

Greyson sighed and sat back down in his chair, lifting his feet back on the desk as he grabbed the magazine.

"Can't help you."

"What? We just have you over a hundred bucks, why can't you fix it?" Abby cried.

"If it's not here, how can I fix it?" He shrugged.

"Don't you have a tow truck you can go pick it up with?" I asked him and he looked up from his magazine.

"Yeah, I could." He said with a smirk, looking back at his magazine. "But it'll cost extra."