Chapter 10

Mercedes tapped the spring loaded handle on her curling iron and watched as the barrel slid out of her hair, leaving behind a big bouncy curl. "Who needs the curling iron?"

India stood. "I do."

Mercedes handed the hot tool over and grabbed a comb to disrupt her new curls. She took a second to look over her closet at her sisters and cousins in the different stages of getting dressed for the evening.

Most were stuck on their hair while a couple (Coraline, Karou) were pulling on clothes.

"Who wants this?" Marcy asked as she finished straightening her bangs.

Paris went to her. "Me."

"It's really hot."

"That's because it had to work extra hard on all that curly hair."

"Don't get burnt, heifa."

"Love you, Cuz."

Marcy handed over the flatiron and went to Mercedes. "Do you need help putting your dress on?"

"Yes, please." Mercedes smiled.

"Where is it?"

Mercedes pointed to a tulip shaped dress hanging up out of the way of a happily frolicking Ozzie. "Thank you!"

"Welcome." Marcy got the dress and brought it over.

Mercedes left her hair alone for a second to step into the dress. Marcy pulled it up her body then zipped up the long back. Mercedes adjusted the strapless top around her chest.

"How are you going to do your makeup?"

"Well I'm wearing peach so I'll go light." Mercedes went back to styling her hair.

"I don't know what possessed me to choose black." Marcy motioned to her shirt and skirt combo. The soft lawn shirt was short sleeved and most importantly black.

Mercedes smiled. "It's night. It'll be okay."

"It better be. I'll strip."

Mercedes laughed. "Get dressed, crazy girl!"

Marcy went to pull on her clothes.

Quinn stepped into her dress that was the exact replica of Mercedes' dress except it was gold. "Zip me up, Sissy?"

Mercedes zipped up her dress. "There you go. Are you about to put on your makeup now?"

"Yeah." Quinn already knew how she wanted her makeup.

"Help!" Natalia called out.

London went to her. "What's wrong?"

"I can't get this stupid zipper!"

London laughed. "None of us can. We need help."

London and Natalia also wore dresses like Mercedes' and Quinn's but Natalia's was a lime green while London's was a soft pink.

London finished zipping up the dress and patted Natalia's back. "There you go."

Laura groaned as she pulled her sweater-dress over her head. "Just think; I'm going to have to get bigger clothes!"

China helped her. "That has been known to happen."

"I'm going to get fat."

"I'm sure you'll still have admirers, Twin."

"Really?" Laura teared up. "I won't be bloated like a puffer fish?"

China looked at her.

"Tell her the truth!" Marcy shouted.