Chapter 49

Marcy opened her eyes and turned her aching head slowly. "Mal?"

"I'm here!" Mal jumped up and took her hand. "Hey? How are you?"

Marcy blinked. "Where am I?"

"The hospital. You fainted at rehearsals."

She turned her head, ashamed. "Oh why?"

"It's okay. You'll be okay. You're awake now. I just want to talk to the doctor about maybe getting you on different vitamins. I don't think you're eating enough-"

"Mal? Mal." She tried to grasp him feebly.

"I think you're working too hard. You go to the shop early in the morning then go to rehearsals. It's too much."

"Mal!"

He focused on her. "What? Are you hurt? Do you need pain relievers?"

"I need you to stop talking."

He gave her a look.

"I'm serious. I have a headache. And turn off that bloody light."

He sighed before turning off the light. He came back and took her hand. "Will you listen to me now?"

"If I listen now, will it go faster?"

He narrowed his eyes but hers were closed. He gave up and just kissed her forehead.

"Thank you." She mumbled.

He gave a small smile. "Rest."

It was quiet for a moment until she asked, "Where're the kids?"

"With Mother. Antoll wanted me to come in."

"It's your day off!" She opened her eyes.

He put his hand over them. "Nope. Relax. Calm down. It's okay."

"Does he have a crush on you or something? He never lets you out of his sight!" She moved his hand.

"I don't know." He didn't have an answer for that. "Just don't get upset. I think your blood pressure's high."

"You think everything's wrong with me." She sat up. "Where's the doctor?"

"I should go get him now that you're up." He inclined his head towards the door.

"Where's my phone?"

"You don't need your phone."

"I want to check on the kids." She held her hand out.

He huffed before going through her bags for her cell. He handed it to her. "Your friend, Layla got your stuff together and rode with you in the ambulance. She called me and stayed with you until I came."

"I'll call her first."

He kissed her gently before she faded into her phone. "I'm glad you're awake."

She gave him a particular look that made him smile warmly.

He left to go find the doctor.

She dialed her friend and dance partner's number and spoke with her for a few minutes before calling her mother, who was fraught with worry. "I don't know what's wrong. Mal went to find the doctor. Yeah, I'll call you if I have to stay or whatever. I promise. Momma! I gotta go. They're coming back. Bye."

She hung up just as Mal and the doctor returned. The physician smiled when he saw her staring at the door. "Hello there!"

"Hi." She watched him warily.

"I'm glad you're awake." He turned on the lights and came to the bed.

"So am I." She leaned away from him.