Chapter 29 // Office Party

I searched through my closet drastically as Violet sat on my bed doing her nails. “I have nothing to wear!” I groaned.

“D, don’t be dramatic, there must be something in your closet.” Violet got up and started looking through my closet. “I have nothing to make a good impression on Luke’s dad and his co-workers tomorrow.” I told her.

“You’re right, you really don’t have anything that screams, ‘sexy but sophisticated’ or ‘freak in the sheets but elegant’. Nothing in here is for an elegant office party. “

“You’re disgusting you know that right?”

“You love me, I know that.” Violet laughed, “Anyway, you need to buy a dress.”

“All elegant dresses are over three hundred dollars! I don’t have that kind of money. From my savings, I only have like probably a little over two hundred.”

“Well ask your mom.”

“No, my mom already has enough things to worry about.” I told her. “What am I going to do?” I groaned. Then I heard a knock on my door.
“I hear you have a dilemma.” Sammy said as he came into my room.

“You’re 11 how do you know what a dilemma is?” I replied.

“I’m trying to extend my vocabulary. Anyway, you need money for a dress, so I’ve heard.”

“Yeah, what’s it to you?”

“If you don’t have a grand dress then you’ll have a predicament. I will not condone that. Everyone at that party should be mesmerized by your dress so this is my deal,” Sammy continued, “Instead of wearing a decrepit dress in your closet, I’ll be generous and give you some money so you can make a compensation for a coherent aglow dress.”

“So what you’re saying is that you will give me money to buy a dress for the office party?”

“Yes.”

“May I ask where this ‘money‘ is coming from?” I asked using air quotes.

“The ‘money’,” Sammy mocked, “is coming from my saved allowance.” He pulled a rolled stack of money out from his front pocket. “Here.” He passed me the money.

“Sammy how much is this?!” Violet asked.

“About one-fifty to two hundred dollars.” Sammy replied nonchalantly.

“What?!” Violet and I yelled, causing Sammy to flinch.

“I give you the money on one condition.”

“And what’s that?” I asked.

“I come along with you to help you pick our a dress.” Sammy smiled.

“Why are you helping me?” I asked him.

“I don’t want you to screw it up with Luke again. And certainly not screw it up with his dad.”

“Thanks, Sammy.”

“Welcome. Now let’s go shopping.”

~*~

“I like this one.” Violet holds up a short bright pink bedazzled dress.  I shake my head no as she puts it back. “How about this one?” Sammy holds up a red v-line knee length dress. “Nah. I don’t have the boobs for that.” I laugh causing, Violet to laugh too. After giving up on that store, we went to another one outside of town.

“Hi, may I help you girls today?” An employee of the store came up to use as we walked in. “I’m looking for a elegant cocktail dress for an office party I have tomorrow.”