Chapter Seven

"Crieks, c'mon." Shard looked over his shoulder, still half-running.
"I'm sorry you're taller and faster than me!" Crieks panted as he sprinted behind Shard. "I'll slow down. You can just ask, you know?"
Crieks sighed as Shard slowed to a walk. "Not when I'm struggling to breath I can't." Crieks crossed his top pair of arms as he walked.
"Right," Shard ignored Crieks. "We're here. The very area I found this little gal." Shard held his Ghost, Lune, out. "Isn't That right, Lune?"
Lune nodded. "Saw you fighting that Captain, then you were on the floor with a knife in your throat."
"Anyways," Lune vanished as Shard continued. "Let's go." He gestured towards a hole in the rock wall, no, more a slash going all the way through it. As the two walked into the gap, Shard stepped up a small waterfall. Crieks had to jump. "In there?" Crieks looked at the dimly lit cave. "Yep." Shard nodded once and continued on, having to duck to not get his head battered by vines, roots, and branches.
They made it out of the cave and walked for a bit, before Shard stopped. "And I was so close to getting out when you found me..." He mumbled to Lune.
He must be talking about when Lune found him. Did he give up originally? Crieks thought. Shard shook his head. "Let's keep going." He said as he turned to Crieks, then back around, continuing to walk. Crieks kind of half jogged behind him. "Where are we going?"
"Further into this forest."
"Oh, okay then."

"Right, stop here."
"Okay." Crieks looked around.

"I think this is the area Bee's told stories about."
"Yeah, probably. It's where she got her Light back." Shard said as he looked at the massive glowing crystal in the middle of the area that was half dug into a wall. "Bee, Star, Travis-4, an old friend of hers, and his Ghost, if I remember correctly, her name was Sea, all came here to try and get their Light back." Shard told Crieks. He'd heard the story a few times, but never knew Bee had an old friend who he'd never heard of. "Travis-4?"
"Yeah. He was an old friend of Bee's before she went into that coma. He died during that, I think."

Bee was in a coma? What? When? How? Crieks thought. What came out instead was, "What happened to him?
"He tried to take out a group of Hive Knights alone, and it didn't go well. They shattered his Ghost after they shattered him, is what Bee was told, apparently."
"That'll be why we've never met him."
"No one in our Clan has met him. He died before even Thorn could meet him. I think she may have known him before that, though."
"Anyways, let's keep going." Shard walked over to the crystal, and Crieks ran up to him. "Do I touch it?"
"Nope. We wait."
"Huh? Why?"
"We search through all the radio channels and listen for anything."
Crieks was about to ask another question when he heard some Fallen yell. Turning around, he saw a Captain and two vandals. "Well look who's here." The captain growled. "Mr -I literally murdered a Captain a rank above me because I was mad." They taunted. Shard stood up and hissed at them. "Oh, it's you. Mr - I'll take this Guardian's side instead of trusting the Captain I've known for years." Crieks stood up too. "Lirak? You're a Captain now?"
"I don't recognise you, but yeah, sure." Lirak was still growling. "Listen, Lirak. We're not here to-" Shard started. The Captain cut him off. "Oh yeah, 'we're not here to hurt you', or whatever. Fuck off. I am." Lirak hissed and flung himself at Shard, but Crieks shoved him off.
The two vandals sprinted at Shard instead.
Lirak growled as he pinned Crieks against a wall. "Ow." Crieks yelped.
"You can't even take on one of us? And, if I'm correct with my assumptions on why you're here, you want to be a Guardian? Pathetic." Lirak sneered, and Crieks felt his hand grasp his arm tighter. Crieks forced one of his lower arms up to grab Lirak by the neck, then shove him off.
"Get. Off." He hissed at the Captain.
"Oh, playing threatening now, are we?" He snickered as Crieks reached over his shoulder and grabbed the shotgun he had on his back. Lirak stood up and charged at Crieks, who promptly shot him in the face. Lirak screeched and stumbled backwards, holding his head. Crieks, disorientated, ran off to see Shard battering the last Vandal, with the other dead on the floor with no head. Lirak rammed into Crieks and knocked him over, pinning him down. "Okay, that hurt." Crieks hissed rolling over and kicking Lirak's chest. He didn't even flinch. Snarling, he went to slash at Crieks' throat, but Shard yanked him off and stabbed him in the throat. Dropping Lirak's limp body to the ground, Shard stood up straight with his eyes suddenly wide. "Lune, did you hear that?" He asked his Ghost, who nodded. "Radio channel 1352. That was a distress signal." Lune said. Crieks stood up and stared at Shard. "Go. Now." Shard sprinted off and Crieks bolted after him. "Did you hear how staticky that was? They could be miles off-" Lune started. "Anyone!? I'm being attacked here!" Crieks heard the unknown voice howl through the radio, and Lune shook herself.
"Yes, we're here. Where are you?"
"Is that a Guardian? Oh thank god! I'm somewhere in this god forsaken forest! I have no idea- I just- my- ow! My location on my map is screwed!" They screeched. Their voice was glitching out still, but Crieks could swear he could hear them, and not just through the radio. "I think..." Crieks panted. "I think it's this way."
Shard stopped and looked at Crieks. "We'll try." He said as he turned and sprinted the way Crieks had pointed, with Crieks just behind him.

"Hey!" Shard called, without the radio. "Can you hear us?"

"Yes! I'm over here!" The voice yowled back. Crieks rounded the corner and scanned the area.
There were three Dregs, a Vandal, and a Captain - who already looked pretty battered. "You deal with the Dregs and the Vandal. I'll get the Captain." Crieks looked to Shard, who nodded, the bolted over and grabbed the Vandal by the neck.
I can't see anyone. Crieks thought and he kicked at the Captain and knocked it over onto its side. "Hey!" It hissed. "Shut it." Crieks growled, holding it down with two of his arms and reaching for his shotgun with the other two. He grabbed the gun and shot the Captain in the chest repeatedly. He thought it was dead, so he stood up and looked over at Shard, who was still fighting the three Dregs. They looked basically dead too.

Suddenly, the Captain yanked Crieks down by the arm. Creiks yowled as the Captain shoved the dagger strapped to its hand into Crieks' shoulder, then grabbed a Shock Blade it had dropped in the fight and plunged it into Crieks' side.
Just as his vision was fading out, he saw Shard screech next to the three Dregs - they were dead - and a small, floating object. "Is that... is that a Ghost...?" Crieks' head hurt too much to speak English.

"Crieks- it'll be fine- we'll-" Shard's voice cut off.