Chapter Eight

"Crieks! Crieks please!" Shard shook Crieks' shoulders. "Lune is he-"
Like nodded. "He's gone, Shard."
"Wait." The other Ghost floated over. "He fought well. Is he always like this?"
"He tries his best. He was so determined to become a Guardian like me. I was supposed to help him. I failed. Now he's gone. What will Flint say?" Shard's voice trailed off.
"...I've been looking for my Guardian for years.." The ghost hovered over Crieks' body.
"Are you-" Shard's voice was cut off by a short blast of Light, making him cover his eyes. When he looked up again, Crieks had sat up slightly. "Wha... I thought I..." He struggled to find his words.
"Crieks, you-" Shard was cut off by the Ghost talking. "Guardian." He said simply. Shard saw Crieks' eyes widen. "You can't be serious.." He mumbled. The Ghost nodded. "Serious as I can be."
Crieks stood up and shook himself off. Shard copied, then wiped his eyes.
Shard saw Crieks' eyes water up then he suddenly flung himself into Shard and hugged him. "Shard, I- we- we did it." He sniffed.

Crieks wiped his eyes and let go of Shard, then looked to his new Ghost. "I- sorry, I'm a total mess right now.."
"It's fine." The Ghost tilted himself to the side then bobbed over the Crieks' shoulder. "Aviary. And you're Crieks, right?"
Crieks sniffed again, then nodded. "It's nice to meet you then, Guardian." Aviary somehow managed to look smug even though he lacked a mouth or even a second eye. Crieks laughed.

Shard walked over to where they came from then stopped and looked over his shoulder. "We should get back. The other's will be worried."

"Yeah, we should." Crieks agreed. "You can just take me in your ship, right?"
Shard nodded. "Should be able to do that. C'mon, Lune."
Lune nodded as Shard looked over at her. "It's possible. Let's go."

"Your ship is pretty cool." Crieks looked around. Shard grinned. "I know, right?"
"So, where exactly are we going?" Aviary appeared next to Crieks and asked.
"European Dead Zone, Trostland. It's where the others are at." Shard answered.
"Okay, EDZ... Trostland.."
"Whatcha doin'?" Crieks looked at Aviary.
"Adding a bit on my map so I know where I'm going for when we need to get back."
"Oh, that's kinda cool."
"It's helpful, is what is is."

Shard looked back over his shoulder. "We'll be here in a bit anyways."

Shard pushed the door open slowly. "Heeeeyyy guys guess who's back." He did finger guns through the doorway. "Hiya Shard! Where's Crieks...?" Bee waved then tilted her head. "Here." Crieks said, walking next to Shard. "Crieks!" Flint flung himself at Crieks and nearly knocked him over. Crieks returned the hug.
"What happened? I couldn't get ahold of Shard and I was so worried something had happened to you-"
"Stop the sappy hugs and get along with it." Aviary sighed.

"Now listen here Crimson, if you don't-" Flint stopped as he looked at Aviary.
"Yeah, that wasn't me for once." Crieks heard Crimson say. "Wait- Crieks did you-" Flint stuttered.
Crieks nodded before he could get the question out. "This is Aviary."
"...oh my god..." Flint mumbled, then shook himself off. "Aviary. It's good to meet you. Call me Flint." He held his hand out and Crimson appeared. "This is Crimson, he's my Ghost." Crimson nodded. "Heya."

"It's good to meet you two. What about the others?"

Crieks sat down on the sofa and sighed. "Is that everyone?" Aviary asked. Crieks nodded. "Should be."
"And hey, Shard, Bee." Crieks looked at the two respectfully.
"Yeah?" Shard asked.
"Wassup?" Bee sat with her legs crossed.

"So uh, me and Shard were chatting about the stories you've told me before, ya know the ones, right?"

"The ones about the forest and stuff? Yeah."

"Well Shard was telling me about that and he mentioned a few things that I don't think you've mentioned."

"Go on."