Memories

I woke up in a large meadow on a hill. Sunlight shined across my face and I looked around, noticing the beautiful sight of my surroundings. Birds chirp happily and I noticed a bunny gracefully hop through the grass on my right. I giggled quietly, amazed on how nature can be so mysterious.

Sitting up, I looked to my left and noticed a figure coming slowly up the hill. It was a woman, wearing a white dress, her golden curls casually falling down her back. My eyes widened the moment her face came into view. It was my mother and now I know why father always said I resembled her. She was the spitting image of me, but older.

"Mom?" I said quietly. Tears began to stream down my face. For the first time in sixteen years, I finally had the chance to see my mother.

"Lucy, my beautiful and brave daughter, you've grown so much."

She embraced me in her warm arms, I sank against her. The warmth of her body calmed me as I was finally able to hug my mother after all these years.

"I've missed you so much!" I cried, unable to let go.

"Me too, my princess," Mom gracefully pushed me away to look into my eyes, "But we only have a limited time to talk."

I looked around, "What's going on? Where am I?"

My mother sighed before sitting down on the grass, motioning me to join her.

"Your on the bridge between life and death," She explained, "This meadow is the bridge between the two worlds. Your still alive, but on the brink of death."

"So, I'm dying?"

"Yes, but you have a choice."

My head began to feel dizzy. Was I really dying? Did I really have a choice to live or to pass to the after life? But why was I here? What happened to make me on the brink of death?

"But why am I here?"

My mother looked me, moving a strand of my hair from my face, "The fall must have taken your memory of the past few days. Think my sweet daughter, do you remember what happened?"

Thoughts began to roam through my head as my memory of what happened began to seep in. Images of my last few hours came to mind as I remembered. Sting smiling at me while showing me his gift, a pair of earrings. Us confessing to each other. Father being stabbed by him that same day. Natsu saving me while fighting Sting. Us escaping from the palace after watching my father die before my eyes. And days after, Natsu, Happy and I escaping from the Inn when Sting's men found us.  Sting stabbing Natsu, while I'm stabbed by one of the guards. And finally, Natsu and I holding hands before throwing ourselves backwards off the cliff as darkness engulfs me.

"Argh!" I cried, grabbing my stomach where the injury was. My mom steadies me while putting her arms around me, "How can I feel the pain?"

"Your memories from the last few days helped you regain more of your energy to live. Feeling this pain means you still have hope. It's a good thing." She told me, rubbing my back.

"So I can live?"

"Yes, it's very possible. But you still have a choice, Lucy. You can go back to the land of the living and gain the power to take back our kingdom. It will be dangerous and difficult but you'll be able to gain it back. Or," She paused, "You can stay here and join your father and I where you'll be at peace. But our kingdom will fall into darkness as Sting and his men take over. It's your choice, one that you shouldn't take lightly."

"If I stay, I'll be with father and you," I repeated. The idea wasn't so bad. "But if I go back, I'll be able to gain back our kingdom. But what if I can't? What if it ends up I die anyway? I'm a princess with no kingdom and a woman. So what's the point?"

"That is the problem, Lucy." My mother said, placing her hand on my cheek, "You've doubted yourself for too long because of your gender and place as a royal. It doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman, what matters is your bravery and will to fight for what you want. If you keep on living, your life will hold adventures that will impact who you are. You'll meet and keep friends who will stay by your side as you claim what is yours. The right of being the Celestia Queen."

"But how do I even start?"

"Just trust in yourself and the people around you. It will help you overcome the obstacles that are yet to come. But in the end, you will regain your kingdom," Mom gave me a radiant smile.

I thought about what she said. It's true that I need to believe more in myself and the people around me. My thoughts lead to Natsu and everything he's done for me. Rescuing me from Sting, protecting me while we escaped and almost giving up his life for me to protect me from being captured. How can I just give up on life and leave him to fight my battle alone? Is he even alive still?

"I don't want to die just yet," I said to my mother firmly, "I want to keep on living and for my kingdom, but first-," I stopped, scared to find out, "Did Natsu make it? Is he alive?"

Mom smiled, "Yes, but he's badly injured and close to death. But he will be alright. He's a strong one, your Natsu."

I sighed in relief, "And What about Happy?"

My mother chuckled, "He's alive too."

She looked up at the sky, "So your ready to go back?"

"Yes," I replied firmly.

The grass moved softly under my feet as my mother enveloped me in one last hug, "Then it's time for you to wake up. But first, "She kissed my cheek, "Know that your father and I love you. We both will be watching you for as long as you live. Don't forget that, my Princess."

Tears fell down my face, "I won't. I love you mom. Tell father I love him too."

The last thing I remember is my mother smiling at me while she slowly fades farther away. The sky and field fade from view and darkness surrounds me.

And soon, my eyes open as I regain consciousness.

________________________________________________________________

Hey everyone! So yeah, I had more inspiration and time to write! I hope you enjoyed the chapter and see ya in the next one! <3

Date published: June 22, 2020
Word count: 1101

What do you guys think about this NaLu picture? Isn't it adorable?