Birthday Confessions

"Hime, wake up."

A soft voice spoke, waking me up from my deep slumber. I opened my eyes and yawned quietly, stretching my arms against my bed post. The light from the sun, seeped through the window.

Virgo was sitting beside my bed and smiled softly at me.

"Why so early?" I groaned, covering my eyes with my blanket from the blinding sun.

"It's your birthday, Hime." She replied, standing up and opened the window to let some fresh air through. "And tonight is your ball celebrating you being eighteen. Remember?"

I looked at her in confusion, until it dawned on me. "How could I forget?" I practically yelled, flinging myself off the bed. "I can't wait to see Lord Sting again!"

Virgo chuckled. "Excited, Princess?"

I giggled. "Yes."

I hope Sting notices me in my new dress! I'm so excited to wear it!

For the rest of the morning, Virgo helps me bathe and works on my hair. Soon it's styled neatly in waves down my back, with a small braid at the top.

"Beautiful but simple

"Beautiful but simple." She said, turning me so I could see it. "What do you think, Hime?" I gasp when I see it and lightly touch the braid with my fingers.

"It's beautiful! Arigatō, Virgo!"

After my dress fitting, Father called me into the dining room. Wearing the most simplest and comfortable dress, I skip, no run graciously down the staircase and into the dining room. Maybe Lord Sting will be there. But my face falls in disappointment when I don't see him.

"Morning, sweetheart." Father embraces me in a warm hug. "I have something for you as a gift for your special day."

"Arigatō, Father." I hug him back and peer at the medium sized box in the middle of the table. "What is it?" The box is red with a white ribbon tied around it.

"Open it and you'll see."

My fingers brush the top of the box before untying the ribbon and opening the lid. Inside is a golden tiara with a small Star in the middle. The surface is smooth and glittery, making it sparkle beautifully in the sun. I lift it up and stare at it intently before placing it back  into the box.

"It was your Mother's." Father tells me, watching me. "She wanted me to give it to you on your eighteenth birthday." He explains, placing a hand on my shoulder. "You can wear it tonight during your birthday celebration, if you'd like."

"Arigatō, Father!" I fling my arms around his neck. He hesitates a moment before hugging me back. As the King of this kingdom, Father has to be firm and strong. Meaning he can't show too much softness in order to seem fierce when it comes to his enemies. But he always shows me affection and it brings me joy to know that he loves me. But there are times when I see pain in his eyes and I know it's because I resemble my mother in more ways than one.