Rebuilding

I reluctantly made it through the two days in a hospital bed, my arm slowly but steadily regaining it's strength. Madam Pomfrey finally told me, upon inspection, that my arm was healed enough for me to leave but I would have to take it easy for awhile, especially since it was my dominant hand. But not being able to perform spells for a few days was a small price to pay for my life.

Overjoyed with my newfound freedom, I knew exactly how I wanted to spend it. With a nice, long bath. I didn't see many people on my way back to the (y/hh) bathroom, most students having already left for the holidays, eager to escape this broken school.

A few of my friends remained, our families not being worth returning to. The invitation to stay at Hogwarts was accepted without second thought, but hopefully over the summer we can prove ourselves useful around here. As much as I wanted to find Snape, I thought it best to first offer my services to McGonagall and help restore the school.

So that's what I did when I was done my bath. Hopped in a fresh pair of clothes, the school uniform no longer needed, and headed towards the Great Hall to see if I could be of use. Fiona and Amy were already there, talking to McGonagall, the new Headmaster now that both Dumbledore and Snape were gone. I took up place beside them.

"The courtyard is a disaster, Filch has been trying to clean it up but he could use the help of witches such as yourselves," she told them. Noticing my presence, she extended the invitation to me, "you may go with them too, if you're feeling up to it. There's lots to do around here and we can use all the hands we can get."

I told her I'd be happy to help, and with an appreciative smile she was off. I turned to my friends, "I was allowed to leave, but my arm isn't quite healed. Madam Pomfrey said I shouldn't use my wand for a few more days, but I can keep you company."

"Great! I have some updates for you about Snape, though I can't for the life of me imagine why you care."

My heart stopped, hearing this. It was torture waiting until we got to the courtyard before she decided it was the right time to tell me.

"Well, I overheard some of the professors talking and it sounded like Snape went into hiding. They said it was essential to keep him that way for the time being, until things cooled off from the battle. Where, I don't know - but from the way they were talking about him, it sounded like he was more of an ally than prisoner."

They watched my reaction to this information, but I stopped it before it reached my face. Snape might have been fighting for our side, after all. That explains the 'we', but not the part where he comforted me. Still, it was progress. "Thank you for eavesdropping for my sake."

"Oh honey, you know I'd have done it anyway. Knowledge is power."

The three of us laughed together, and managed to put all the bricks scattered across the courtyard back to their original positions; holding up our beloved school.