Chapter 11

Phil’s behaviour has been so unpredictable.

First time he talked to Dan he’s pissed at him and he wanted to throw him at the top of the building, now he keeps looking and following the same man. When he has an available free time he lingers on the library where he can always spot Dan, successfully in consecutive times and in Tuesday and Thursday he waits for him in front of their classroom door.

Dan’s not annoyed about it, but it appears to be random for Phil to do this. It is literally out of his character. One second Dan thinks Phil is secretly planning his revenge by being friendly with him and then next thing he knows, Phil is ordering their drinks at their usual café and at that moment it seems like it is the most normal thing in the world.

“Here,” Phil handed Dan his strawberry milk tea, “how’s the homework?” He sits on the opposite side of Dan.

Dan’s accounting book and papers are spread out in front of him, “I’ve got loads to do,” he mumbled whilst biting the top of his pencil, “we need to pass this tomorrow.”

It has become their routine, talking about school works, sometimes they stays at the library together only acknowledging each others presence with a smile and glance. Dan’s friends (which are Katie and Mark only) are rather cautious about Phil (because they know that one time they tried to remove each others head in front of many students) but after several times meeting him, they just ignore him and always made the chair next to Dan vacant.

Phil hummed and starts drinking his mocha coffee.

He wasn’t actually mindful if someone is looking at him but he feels quite uncomfortable at Phil obviously staring at what he’s doing. He sighed, closed all his notes and shoves it all in his bag.

 “What?” Phil asked raising his eyebrow.

Well, because you’re staring and I can’t concentrate. Dan shrugs, “decided to do the rest six problems at home and pester Thomas about it.” He sips at his drink, damn it’s delicious.

I want to talk but I can’t think of a topic. “Any plans this Saturday?” Phil silently congratulated himself for bringing up something to talk about.

Dan abruptly stopped sipping his drink, he stare wide-eye at Phil and push back the entire lump that has found their way up to his throat, “what?” he croaked.

Then Phil realised, oh. “I mean, what do you do at weekends?” Jesus he didn’t mean it to sound like he’s inviting Dan to go somewhere or perhaps a date, which was embarrassing.

“Nothing special,” Dan mumbled, great he just killed the topic they’re talking about. But the first question caught him off guard; he can feel his ears heating up. He glances at his phone laying beside him, open it and thank the heavens for making it 1:13pm. “Hey, next class in seventeen minutes,” he stands up, sling his bag on his back and smile at Phil, "hey, if you're not busy this Saturday, want to hang-out," Dan inhaled sharply, "I mean, Thomas..." he cleared his throat, if Dan wanted to say it, he must bloody speak clearly, "we're going to watch a movie and then do some stuff, he's off this Saturday, want to come?"  That came out okay. At least Phil’s reply will be brief and no awkward silence can linger between them because at any moment now if Dan decided to walk like he’s in space, he’ll be probably late for his next class.

“Sure!” It’s Wednesday, he doesn’t have that much to do and Dan offering him to go with them is a new step to their friendship. Phil thought that he should always the one to make advances because of him being terrible at Dan but gladly it doesn’t look like it’ll be like that. He really wanted Dan to be his friend.

Dan nodded with a smile plastered on his face, he rushed out of the café avoiding a couple holding hands and silently murmuring sorry for his interruption.

*

“Jeanette and you are okay now, right?” Dan asked he forgot that Thomas hadn’t said anything about them fighting or anything at all.

“Yeah, actually she just shrug it off and said,” he cleared his throat, “at least your honest and guilty about your mistakes, but still don’t ever do it again because I’m going to punch you in the throat so hard you’ll never speak for the rest of your life,” he used his high-pitched voice and used air quotes to describe it.

“She’s going to bloody rip your guts out by making that horrible expression of her.” He shoves a spoonful of his dinner on his mouth. “Actually I’m going to tell you something.”

“Serious talks in dinner, I’m quite nervous.” Thomas said grinning at Dan.

Dan huffs, “just listen, I invited Phil for Saturday,” Thomas raised one eyebrow, “I mean, he keeps, you know,” he made gestures with his hands, “every time I had my break between classes he keeps popping out of nowhere. I think he wants my apology or want to be friends. Is it okay with you?”

“Yeah, at least Jeanette can see who this Phil freaking Lester is.”

 “Oh Jesus, don’t make a scene.” Dan mumbled and emptied his plate.

“Your turn to do the dishes.”

“I have loads of school work!”

“A rule is a rule.”

*

“Is mum still in her shift?” Phil and his father are lazily sitting on their couch watching something about monsters that looks like humans and changes eye colour when hungry or angry.

His father hummed his answer and added, “Until six am, remember?”

“Yeah,” Phil shifts and sit with his legs under him, “dad, I’m going out with a friend this Saturday.”

“Okay?” His dad looks at his side.

“Just wanted to inform you.” Phil grinned and seconds later erupted laughing.

“Some of your age group is living by themselves and then you’re asking for permission from me to hang-out with your friend?” His father laughs alongside him, “I think you’re done with your rebellious phase a long time ago.”

“I like here with you and mum, you can get rid of me when I decided to.” Phil has still had no idea how to say to his parents that he likes boys and girls at the same time.

*

The thing is, he and Phil have so many common tastes, video game, music and the list can go longer, it’s only past two in the afternoon and Dan is already exhausted. Jeanette was pleased to meet Phil whereas Phil was nervous as hell and continued to apologise to her, she also said, “You’re very attractive, you know.” She shoots an evil glance at Thomas and drag Phil with her, continuing their conversation privately, away from Dan and Thomas.

“I think they’re going to be friends and plan a conspiracy against me.” Thomas sighed and followed their two companions chatting quietly.

“When will you marry her?”

He smiled and said, “Soon.”

The thing about two people having same likes and dislikes are like parallel lines they’re the same but cannot meet at any point. Dan was nervous about Phil. His insides are doing somersaults whenever he thinks that perhaps Phil has something towards him that he’s expecting. He mentally slapped himself and chants in his brain stop assuming until he’s seated in front of Phil with Jeanette on Phil’s side, blue eyes staring at him and a large smile painted on his face, Dan lost it and let himself assume the impossible.

Phil is enjoying himself, Jeanette was cool with him, he had fun with everywhere they went, he keeps on checking Dan’s face secretly, looking for displeasure in Dan’s reaction or irritation with his presence and so far he looks happy. Phil hopes Dan accepts him as his friend.