Chapter 22

Malaysia's POV

   The bell rings, and everyone else leaves.  I stay behind because I need to talk to Ethena.

"Ethena, I'm sorry for yelling at you.  I was just really drained after talking to my egg donor, and I just wanted to be left alone.  It didn't go well.  I didn't mean to hurt you."

"It's ok, Malaysia,"  She smiles.  "I'm just glad you apologized.  Do you wanna talk about it?"  I sigh.  "I couldn't believe the nerve of that woman.  She demanded that I give her respect."

"That's pretty absurd of her.  She completely abandoned you.  Don't you want to know why?"  "Well, yeah.  I've always wanted to know, ever since I could comprehend that she wasn't in my life."  "And be it that meeting her didn't go well, I don't think you got the answer you're looking for."

"Right."  "I think you should meet with her again."  "I-I don't know.  Can you come with me?"  "Of course, Baby Girl."

.....

"So, Egg Donor, please tell me why you abandoned me when I was a baby."  "Malaysia, can you at least acknowledge me as your mom?"

"I can't because you...!"  I close my eyes and take a breath, squeezing Ethena's hand.  "I'm just not ready to do that.  Baby steps."  I calmly say, my eyes open again.

Ethena rubs my hand with her thumb.  "Fair enough.  Malaysia, I'm sorry for abandoning you, but it was just too much.  It was too much of a responsibility."

"Too much?  That's your excuse?!,"  I shout, standing up.  "You weren't in my life for 17 years because it was "too much"?  You shouldn't have had a fucking kid then!"

Ethena turns and looks up into my eyes.  "Look at me, look at me,"  She says as she taps my thighs.  "It's ok.  I'm here with you.  I know this is hard for you, but try your best to talk to her calmly."

I sit back down.  "Let's change the subject,"  Egg Donor says.  "Who's this?"  She says, referring to Ethena.  "Is she your girlfriend?"  She questions.

"Yes.  She is."  "I know you said you're with an older woman,"  Her eyes avert to Ethena.  "But she looks too old."  She looks back at me.

I get up, still holding Ethena's hand.  "Come on, Ethena.  We're out of here."  I say, glaring at the sorry excuse for a mother.