Ch. 6 - Solace In Pain

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈
"I felt like those dark moments 
made me stronger."

- Jade
┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

Chapter 6 - Solace In Pain

▪️J A D E▪️

It was around mid-afternoon the next day when I finally awoke with a splitting headache.

After Dominic had stormed off and left the club last night, I had not felt like partying anymore. Even though Blaire and the others repeatedly objected, I ignored them for a while and sat in a corner and drank until I all but passed out, hoping to numb the stinging pain of rejection that was coursing through me.

"Sleeping beauty is finally awake?" Quintin chuckled softly, leaning against the headboard on the other side of my bed.

Grumbling, I rubbed my eyes, trying to protect myself against the harsh light that peeked through the blinds, "I rather go back to sleep."

"Here, take these," he handed me some pills and a bottle of water then asked, "still feeling shitty about last night I assume?"

"No shit Sherlock..." I frowned after drinking some water.

"Sorry J," Quintin hugged me, "come on, it's your birthday, you've already slept most of the day away. Come, go shower and get dressed, we have things to do."

"I'm not going to dinner, I'm staying in my room," I pouted as I pulled my purple pillow pet to my chest.

I loved that fluffy Hippo like you would not believe. I have had him for as long as I could remember. It had been a gift from Quintin, and I had given him a googly-eyed sloth in return. It was something to protect us from our nightmares. Of course, it did not really work, but the sentiment had brought the both of us immense comfort nonetheless.

Shaking his head with a sad smile, he said, "Don't be like that, Jade."

"No, I'm serious, Quin. I rather just curl up with Harvey the Hippo if you don't mind. My ego is bruised enough as it is, and I don't know if I'll be able to refrain from throwing myself at Dom again. I just seem to lose all self-control when he's around lately..." I confessed, then whined, "Ugh, what the hell is wrong with me?"

"Nothing's wrong with you!" Sighing heavily, Quintin relented, "Alright, we can always dine in then. Want me to stay and keep you company for now?"

"It's okay, I think I just need some alone time," I replied before asking, "Is Blaire safe? In my drunken haze I believe I hyped her up and encouraged her to go home with James."

"I'll call and check in. I still can't believe she went home with him," Quintin's nose scrunched up a bit.

"Well, she's had her eyes on him for months..." I chortled half-heartedly, "At least one of us is getting to fuck the one we want. Of all the mafia bosses, I had to be attracted to the one who had morals, which is ironic, given his vicious reputation."

"Well, even monsters need love, right?" Quintin said more to himself.

"If they allow themselves to be..." I commented sourly.

Kissing my forehead, Quintin got up from the bed and tucked me back in. He told me to call on him if I needed anything, and with one last reassuring hug, he left my room and exhaled deeply, leaving the door slightly ajar.

As I lay in bed, I could briefly see him and Jee-min talking, and I gripped the sheets tighter around me as I listened to them. The concern in their tone tore away at me slightly as my heart began to race at their hushed words.