nine

Lucy ran out of the How and gasped at the sight of Rose in Caspian's arms. "Lay her down!" She demanded. Caspian did so. Lucy pulled them juice out and opened it. She dropped a drop into Rose's mouth.

After a couple dreadful moments she gasped. Her eyes shot open and the first thing she saw was Caspian and the first words that left her lips was, "Cas." He sighed and pulled her into a hug. She hugged him back.

"What happened?" Lucy asked when she noticed half of them were gone.

"Ask him." Peter said darkly. Caspian pulled away from Rose and he helped her up.

"Me? You could've called it off. There was time." Caspian replied.

"No there wasn't, thanks to you. If you kept to the plan, those solider might still be alive. Rose wouldn't have gotten hurt!" Peter yelled the last bit.

"If you'd stayed here like I suggested, they definitely would be! She would've never been hurt!"

"You called us remember?"

"My first mistake."

"No. Your first mistake was thinking you could lead these people." Peter turned to walk away.

"Hey!" Caspian bellowed. Rose jumped at the tone of his voice, "I am not the one who abandoned Narnia."

"You invaded Narnia." Peter pointed an accusing finger in Caspian's face, "you have no more right to lead it than Miraz does. You, him, your father... Narnia's better off without the lot of you!"

Caspian pulled his sword out screaming. He pointed it at Peter who pulled his sword out as well.

"Stop it!" Edmund yelled. They turned to see Glenstorm holding Trumpkin in his arms. Lucy gasped and moved to him.

"Caspian." Rose said softly. He looked down at her. He turned and walked into the How. Rose looked to her family before following after Caspian.

"Cas!" She said to him when he ignored her. He turned around.

"What?" He yelled. She sucked in a deep breathe.

"I'm sorry." She whispered. His eyes softened. Her eyes welled with tears, "I'm sorry about your father."

Caspian walked towards her and pulled her into him. She wrapped her arms sound his torso and buried her head in his chest. He rested his head on hers. His eyes glared at Peter as he walked in. Peter didn't like the way Rose and Caspian were at all.

Caspian pulled away from Rose and she looked up at him with tears following down her face. Caspian reaches up and gently whipped them off of her face, "queens don't deserve this." He whispered, "they don't deserve what you've been put through."

"And princes shouldn't be put through what you've been. Thank you, Cas. For saving me back there." She said to him. He smiled down at her and her heart fluttered.

"I wouldn't leave you behind." He said to her.

"And I wouldn't leave you behind." She replied.

"Okay, that's enough lovey - dovey mess." Peter pulled Rose away from Caspian. His grip was extremely tight, Rose felt his fingernails digging into her skin. She gasped at the pain and ripped her arm away from him. She held onto her arm where she felt the blood seeping into her midnight blue dress. The prince glared at Peter as if daring him to lay another hand on Rose.

Rose glared at Peter before stalking off. She made her was to the Stone Table and sat on it, "Aslan. We could really use you right about now. You could just show up like last time. Please, Aslan. We need you."

"He won't show." Caspian said as he approached her. She looked up at him, "your arm."

"Oh, it's nothing." She replied.

"Let me see it." Caspian raised his eyebrows. Rose sighed and pulled up her sleeve, revealing three long scratches where Peter's nails dug into her skin.

"I shouldn't have ripped my arm away like that. It was stupid." She mumbled. Caspian stared at her blood stained arm, "Caspian," he looked at her. "I'm fine."

"Lovey - dovey mess." Caspian repeated, "you can do as you like. You're your own person. You're High Queen."

"Yes, Cas, I am but that doesn't mean anything. To Peter, I'm just a queen. If even that." Rose said. Caspian stared at her, "what?"

"He comes back after hundreds of years being gone and orders around everyone as if he's still king." Caspian scoffed, "it's stupid."

"I agree. It is quite dumb but he was so used to being the High King. I mean, I was used to being High Queen but I never let my ego crash down on top of me like Peter does."

»»»

Rose ran alongside Peter with her sword drawn, "stop!" The bear - wolf like creature let got of Caspian and Nikabrik drew his sword on Trumpkin.

Rose rushed towards Caspian, "Caspian! No!" Peter shoved Captain to the side.

"Get away from him!" Peter pointed his sword at the White Witch. Rose kneeled down beside Caspian. His non - bleeding hand gripped her dress.

"Peter, dear. I've missed you. Come on. Just one drop." She insisted and held her hand out of the ice, "you know you can't do this alone." A sword was stabbed through her abdomen. Caspian and Rose quickly stood. The sheet of ice broken into a million pieces. Rose blocked her face and turned away.

They saw Edmund standing behind the broken ice, "I know. You had it sorted." He said coolly.

»»»

Rose stared in horror as hundreds of men approached the How. She felt Caspian's hand slip into hers.

The group retreated back into the How to come up with a plan, "cakes and kettledrums. That's your next big plan? Sending a little girl into the darkest party of the forest? Alone!" Trumpkin asked Peter.

"It's our only chance." Peter replied.

"And she won't be alone." Susan said to him.

"Haven't enough of us died already?" Trumpkin asked softly.

"Nikabrik was my friend too. But he lost hope. Queen Lucy hasn't. And neither have I." Trufflehunter spoke up.

Reepicheep spoke, "for Aslan," followed by a bear repeating his sentence.

"Then I'm going with you." Trumpkin said to Lucy.

"No. We need you here." Lucy places her hand on the dwarf's shoulder.

"We have to hold them off until Lucy and Susan get back." Peter said.

"If I may..." Caspian stood, "Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer... but as king, he is subject to the traditions... and expectations of his people. There is one in particular that may buy us some time."

______________________________

word count : 1,081

two chapters left and they are probably two of my favorite characters in this entire book.

but i told you all. feelings came quick for rose and caspian.

they literally make me go: 🥺💙😌💜🥰💙☺️