Chapter XXIII

'Minho- what did you do?' I asked, in shock. His skin seemed to have melted.

'Med-jack please!' Newt shouted.

Minho sat down, looking exhausted.

Meanwhile, Cam came and started to bandage his arm.

'I-I couldn't sleep. I heard some strange noises coming from here and I came to check it out. And all of a sudden I was surrounded by flames.'

Alby came just in time to listen to Minho's explanation.

'Never do it again. You think you're a shucking super-hero?' he scolded.

'I know Alby, sorry.'

'Most of the flames are gone,' I said.

'How could there be a bloody fire?'

Newt asked the question everyone was thinking.

'We'll find out. If it was an incident, we'll discover the guilty and see what measures we need to apply. If that wasn't what happened, then I have no idea what did.'

Alby sent most of the Gladers back home, but the three of us split up and searched the forest, looking for clues and checking that the fire had really ended. I didn't find any single thing.

We reunited in what they called the Graveyard. Just the thought of Gally being under there made me sick.

'Nothing?' Alby asked.

'No,' Newt said.

I shook my head.

'A fire can't just appear out of thin air and disappear this easily. I think this is unnatural,' I said.

'Maybe it was the Creators who did this,' Newt suggested.

'And what was that noise? I thought it might've been a tree that fell but we didn't find anything,' I said.

'I have no idea. Tomorrow we'll investigate more. Right now, we need to sleep.'

Alby went to the Homestead, but Newt and I stayed behind.