Chapter XXVII

'Maybe we should've checked it out before calling the others. What if it doesn't open? Or if it leads nowhere?' I asked.

'If we did that, who knows if we would be stuck out there, just like what happened to you? And what if we found a way out?'

'I guess you're right.'

'I'm always right.'

He kissed me, and the world stopped.

'We'll find them,' he said.

'I know. But this seems too easy.'

'Maybe we get to have a break. Maybe we'll get outside and everything will be normal.'

I knew that as long as we were in the Maze, we wouldn't get any breaks. And things would definitely not be normal. But I ignored that and kissed him. It felt good to get away from the problems, even though I knew they weren't fixed. We sat on the ground, my head rested on his shoulder, his arm around my waist. I felt his steady heartbeat. We heard some noises, stood up and I gripped my dagger.

Cam came running.

'We're here,' he said, in between breaths.

'Did anyone stay behind?' I asked.

'Yes. Half a dozen guys who were afraid and wanted to guard the Glade in case our plan goes wrong.'

'Where are the rest?' Newt asked.

'They're on their way.'

Cam took a bottle of water from his backpack and drank it all at once.

'Not tired at all huh?' Newt asked, with a mocking look.

'Yeah, I'm so used to running this much.'

'We can see that.'

Minho and Alby came next.

'Hurry. Open that klunk,' Alby said.

And I pressed enter.