Chapter XXVIII

Meanwhile, at least 30 gladers arrived. A strange noise came from the wall. A door-shaped hole opened.

'We don't know what we might find. So be ready to fight. We are getting out of here today' Alby said loudly.

Everyone cheered, and we entered it, one by one. Alby went first, Cam second, Newt and I next, and the others, who I didn't know. I felt a bit bad, not knowing them, or at least their names. Minho was the last one to go through.

The passage was wider than the one I’d gone through before. And it was filled with slime. What if there were Death Creatures down there? I kept close to Newt. His breaths were steady. I wondered how he could be so calm.

I heard screams from behind. I saw at least three Death Creatures. It must be a trap. We ran as fast as we could. I saw people next to me falling to the ground, the slime definetely not helping. Newt and Alby were a bit ahead of me. I just hoped that Minho could make it. Alby kept screaming:

'Run! And don't look back!'

Then things got worse. I lost sight of Newt. I couldn't see the ending. Everyone was tumbling down. It was a total despair.

'An exit! Run, run, run.' I had no idea who said that, but it gave me hope, and the ones who were still running, ran faster.

Alby was hanging on some stairs, pulling people up through a whole. I could still hear people screaming. How many Death Creatures were down there? Alby tried to grab me but I didn't let him. I would only go up with Newt. I saw Cam go, and a couple of others.

Newt. A Death Creature was about to sting him. I couldn't just stay there and watch. I began to run straight towards it. I have no idea what I had in mind.

'Get away from here!' Newt yelled.

I didn't even care. I could only think about killing that monster. It came straight at me. I dodged it, and backstabbed it, taking care not to let go of the dagger. I wasn't sure if it had died, but Newt grabbed me and pulled me away. I saw Minho go up. That made me feel relieved. Alby helped us up. As I looked around, I could see that we were in a Maze. I just hoped it was mine. The Death Creatures were still down there, and so were other Gladers. But Alby refused to abandon them. He stayed behind.

'Alby, get out of there! The Grievers'll get you!' Newt said.

'I won't leave anyone behind.'

'Stop trying to be a bloody hero. Come up NOW.'

And then something grabbed Alby. He fell to the ground.

'Find a way out of this place-' he said, and then I could see him get stung. The needle pricking right through his stomach. His eyes rolled up, his body convulsing. He said one last thing, his face relaxing.

'W.I.C.K.E.D. is good.'