Chapter LI

I had no idea about what time it was. Since I had gone through The Changing and got my memories back, time was a blurr. I could really use a watch. I entered my dorm, and I could hear Newt's loud snores. I wondered how Sofia and Rita could've fallen asleep with that noise. I snuck into bed, trying not to wake up Newt, which was complicated since he was occupying the whole bed.

'Maria, I'm coming. I'll just change clothes and I'm ready.' He said.

'Newt, I've already talked to everyone, it's late.'

'I'm so bloody stupid, sorry, I must've fallen asleep.'

'No problem,' I said.

'How did it go?'

'Fine, I guess. They all had tons of questions.'

'Did they believe it?'

'I think so, it's not like I could make up something so messed up. And besides that they trust me.'

'Yeah, probably.'

I kissed him, and I fell asleep like I usually did: in his arms. But the dreams came anyway.

It was all dark. I couldn't see anything. Then I realized I was in the Box. Beside me was Thomas, still unconscious. I couldn't move. I kept looking up, waiting to see light. I stood up, desperate, and realized I wasn't controlling my body.

In fact, it wasn't even my body. It was the other girl's, just like the dream I'd had before. I, or rather she, started to scream. She was desperate, and I felt it. The light never appeared. The Box would never stop. She lied down, and gave up, passing out. And like that, I returned to a peacefull sleep.

I woke up with Newt shaking me.

'Maria, wake up,' he whispered.

'What's wrong?' I asked.

'I'm sorry to wake you up, but I think I had some sort of premunition. I usually don't have dreams. But I did. A voice in my head kept saying: 'This is all wrong. We're all going to die.' And I woke up when the voice turned into a scream.'

We both sat down, his arm around my shoulder.

'I think things are going to change soon. But I can't loose you,' I said.

'You won't. We'll be together, like we always are.'

'I also had a horrible dream. I was in the Box, next to that boy, Thomas. But it never ended.'

'We make a great nightmare team!'

'An Olympic one!' I said, laughing quietly.

I was about to kiss him when the sound of a siren obliterated everything.