Chapter 4 - Frolicking with a superdork

It hadn't taken me long to finish the test considering I had studied the night before. I might have been getting a B in here, but that didn't mean that I didn't study my hardest.

            I had decided that it would be better if I just decided to stay at school until the tryouts at seven. I had waited in the library, reading my book, until they closed. Then, I went down to the theater room and started practicing my lines over and over in my head.

            Before I knew it, it was almost seven and I was pacing by the theater room with anxiety. Most of the other kids with the earlier times were waiting here too, including Lacey.

            Lacey was supposed to be helping me practice my lines, but she got distracted by some boy who was just exiting the theater room. I recognized him as the boy who sat behind me in AP Physics. I honestly didn't understand her obsession with boys. Most guys in our grade at our school weren't that good looking, I preferred the ones in my books instead, with the exception of Archer.

            "Lacey, would you mind actually practicing with me before you go in? I feel really nervous as it is." Lacey gave me an apologetic look and made to read her script, when Mrs. Cunningham called her name for the next in line.

            "Wish me luck!" She said as she ran into the theater room.

            I walked over to the door, seeing as I was next anyway, and put my ear to the wood. I listened as Lindsey sang at least ten wrong notes and ended her song with an ear splitting screech. She then went on to messing up her practiced lines, even though I was sure she was still looking at the script.

            I had to jump back from the door when it opened and Lacey came out with an ecstatic expression on her face.

            "She said I was better than average!" She smiled widely and hugged me.

            Unlike her, I didn't tend to be excited about the little things in life. While she was happy with any achievement, I had to get close to perfect until I was satisfied. It was one of my many flaws.

            "Good luck, Arabella! Break a leg!" Lacey exclaimed as she left the campus. I wish I could have her enthusiasm on the subject, but considering the fact that I was shooting for a much higher goal made it hard to even reach her excitement level.

            I walked into the room and let the doors close behind me. Oh god, please hope that I don't fail this. I noticed that my hands had recently started shaking, when had they started doing that? My palms all of a sudden became moist with sweat and I wiped them on my shirt.

            I stepped in front of Mrs. Cunningham and took a deep breath. On the bright side, I couldn't possibly do worse than Lacey, right?

            Mrs. Cunningham looked up and said, "Name and grade?"

            Now, Mrs. Cunningham already knew all that about me, but it was strictly formal to ask so she could put it on her computer. She put down who she thought would be the best of certain parts on there, so basically it held the answers to who made it and who didn't.