Chapter 15

After Kris had her little encounter with Spot, she left the boy. She felt as if she started a streak. A girl who became the leader of The Bronx Newsies got the love of her life back, escaped a wrecked home, and was thriving. She was at her peak, life was finally going right.

The following day, Kris awoke to the sound of the boys and their bustle. Today was an important day for all the newsies of New York. Jack had arranged a large meeting for all the Burroughs's leaders and their councils to meet and discuss the threat of a potential Burogh war.

Everyone went out and about their day as usual: woke up, eat, and sell papes. Kris and her small council finished early around 4:30. The boys went ahead to Meda's theater, where everyone was to meet, while Kris went back to the lodging house.

She took a shower and brushed out her silky, brown hair. She put on a pair of brown pants, a white button-up shirt, and brown suspenders. Once she finished changing and drying her hair, she went to a mirror to make herself look slightly more masculine. She unbuttoned the top three buttons of her shirt, tuck her hair with a few strands coming out, and pulled her shirt to make it loose enough so that her curves don't show.

She had to make sure no one outside of the newsies knew her secret, for tonight she was to reveal herself to the newsies only. Kris looked at the clocked and mentally slapped herself, it was 5:08 and the meeting was supposed to start at 5. Kris grabbed her cap, wallet, keys, and pocket knife and ran out to Manhattan.

ONE SPRINT LATER

Kris had finally arrived outside of the theater. She leaned against the wall as she collected her thoughts and caught her breath. After mentally preparing herself for her reveal and fashionably late entrance she held her chin up and pushed the doors open.

The room went silent as they all turned to see who had disrupted their meeting, but let out a chuckle to see it was just Taylor, the King of the Bronx. "Aye whats youse starin' at" Kris barked. Everyone quickly averted their eyes back to the stage where Jack, Spot, and the other leaders sat.

As Kris finally approached the table and sat down, she whispered into Jack's ear, "Is got an announcement ta make once this meetin' ends". Jack smiled and slapped her back. The meeting resumed, and everything went smoothly.

3 Hours Later

The meeting was finally coming to and end. As we were all about to conclude this meeting with a peace treaty someone comes bursting through the door.

"Talk about a grand entrance" Kris rolled her eyes.

"Youse did tha same thing" Jack retorted.

The door was out of my view. We all looked to see who had finally decided to show up.

For a tall, brunette had emerged through the hall.. at this point, the entire council was standing to see.

The figure had a brown cap that hid his eyes, he sauntered toward the group. The only thing visible was his mouth, for his head was tilted down.

"And who is youse thinkin you are interrupting us" Kris inquired, tilting her head in confusion.

The boy stopped before her, a smirk has crept upon his face. "Ise thought youse would remember me Brown".

Kris's face looked as if had drained all its color. A wave of panic washed over her body. "How the hell does he know my real name" she thought.

The boy finally looked up. Her eyes were met with the piercing gaze of very familiar seaweed green eyes..

Kris stood there, wide eyed and in utter shock staring right back at the boy. The rest of the council just stood there in confusion to who the hell was this "Brown" and the mystery boy.

Kris on the other hand felt as if her old life was catching up to her. She felt her knees buckle as she stumbled back and fell into her chair.

"Eli."

The boy smirked again. He stood up and walked slowly around Kris in her chair. He circled once more and leaned down close to her ear. Kris gripped the chair and shit her eyes tightly as she felt his breath behind her ear.

"Ah, so you do remember"

Kris opened her eyes. She stood up calmly and backed up. She had reached her max. The Newsies all had a traumatic past, but Kris has it the worst. Seeing Eli gave her so much PTSD that her body didn't bother with these intense bipolar emotions anymore. She was pushed over the edge. She was free falling.

In other words, she felt numb.

Kris walked out of that theater that night, leaving behind Eli, the Council, the Bronx. Her mind was blank. She knew she wasn't in the right state of mind, but how could she vent when she doesn't feel anything.

She needed to feel something. She balled her fists tightly, nails digging into palms. As she walked briskly through the roads, blood started to drop from her fists, she still felt nothing.

She ended up finding herself at the Brooklyn Bridge. She climbed to the top and went to her secret spot. Here she kept the letters from her friends, a rope, a few knickknacks and a knife in a box.

She gripped the knife with her bloody hand and held it. She sat on the endive looking down at the water crashing against the bridge.

HER THOUGHTS:

Should I jump? Maybe the coolness of the water will awaken my senses.

No, that's not it.

Maybe cutting will help?

No, then I would have to hide the scars.

Do I want to die?

No of course not.

But do I really want to live?