Chapter 8

Gabriella Rodriguez

I was currently sat on the couch with Elena and Mateo cuddled up to me on both sides watching some cartoon on our shitty television.

It was a Saturday morning, and we usually start our day at around  6 am trying to get as much time together as possible before I had to go to work. I make all of us some scrambled eggs and we sit down on the couch just enjoying each other's company.

"Can you please stay home today Gabbie" Elena says trying to convince me with puppy dog eyes, pouting her lips hoping to get her way.

I put my plate on the little coffee table in front of us and scoop her up, one arm under her legs and the other supporting her back, bringing her into my lap. Mateo's head still resting on my shoulder.

"Mi Sol, you know I can't. I have to work to pay the bills and put food in your little belly" I say while tickling her stomach making her squeal and let out a fit of giggles.

I've called her 'Mi Sol' since she was just born. It means 'My Sun' in Spanish, and Elena in Greek means 'Shining Light'. She always knows how to brighten a room, even just with her smile. I've just always thought this name was fitting for her little personality.

I don't use it often, only when I'm telling her something upsetting, trying to soften the blow of it all.

Elena snuggles her face into the crevice of my neck, sitting sideways on my lap. Her hand coming up to hold onto the other side of my neck. With the hand supporting her back, I bring it up to run through her curls making her let out a relaxed sigh.

With my other hand, I wrap my arm around Mateo's small frame, bringing him closer and kissing the top of his head, while he leans his head on my shoulder.

I wish we could just stay like forever. Not have to worry about bills, just having a stress-free life with the two people I'd die for.

Sadly, that's not how life works.

About an hour had passed and I look down to see them both clinging onto me in their sleep. My neck and back were stiff from sitting still for so long. I didn't want to wake them knowing they need their sleep. 

I gently remove my arm from around Mateo's body, lying him down onto the couch. Then removing myself from Elena's tight grip, making her stir slightly. I lie her down on the other side of the couch letting out the breath I was holding once they stay asleep.

I go to the bathroom, tying my hair into a messy bun on the top of my head, stripping out of my clothes and then turning on the shower.

I step into the hot water, letting it cascade down my back releasing the stiffness in my neck and back. After lathering myself in soap, I turn off the shower and grab the towel hanging on the rack.

I quickly dry myself, then wrap the towel around my body. I walk into my room going to my drawer. I drop my towel and put my bra and undies on. I walk to my wardrobe grabbing my uniform and putting it on.

I redo my bun making it slick and in the middle of my head. I don't put any makeup on, quickly slipping on my shoes and walking out to the living room to wake Mateo and Elena up.

As much as I would love to kick of my shoes, jump on the couch and nap with them, I can't. I had to take them to Lizzie's, so she could watch them until my shifts were over.

I walked over to the couch, gently shaking Mateo to wake up, knowing he won't put up much of a fight, his eyes open slowly.

He lets out a yawn and stretches out his limbs. I quickly kiss his temple, then go to wake Elena up.