n i n e

"Sounds naive respecting someone
who doesn't give a shit about you."
—Toba Beta

•••

They got out of the cab and headed towards the main gate of Vergera Family.

The day was still cloudy and so was Sam's mind. She continued to mutter certain cries about her husband all along the way.

On the other hand, Jordan was quite silent because he didn't dare to piss Sam off again.

Isla, who never went out before with her family, was enjoying the ride. It was her first time in all her tiresome eight years to visit something, someone rather, with her family.

She was dressed in a light blue coloured loose top and tight black jeans. She combed her hair in straight line. She looked out of the window and gazed at the flying clouds.

"Roger?" Sam cries out.

"Yes?"

"I should warn you about the place before hand. Behave yourself. Your family is known for their classy style and culture... I mean your adopted family. I don't know how your mother was-"

"Sam, drop it!" Jordan spoke suddenly cutting Sam's word, "Continue what you actually want to say. "

"Ah- alright alright. Roger, Sofia is a very sweet girl of your age, maybe, don't you dare behave rudely with her, is that clear?-"

"Alright" she replied with an annoying tone.

"Don't give me that attitude young lady!" Sam said glittering his teeth.

Isla rolled her eyes in response.

She knew how much she loved them but, do they even? She knew she could jump off a cliff for her new family, but she was afraid to show them.  She knew, if she would show them, they will just find another place to hurt her, a soft one rather.

"Ah! Finally!" Jordan cried out cutting her thoughts.

She shook her head as she looked out of the window, completely shocked by the view of what was in front of her.

She blinked once. She blinked twice.

"It's like a palace!" was all came out of her mouth.

"I know, right?" Jordan said twitching his lips while helping Sam to pull the gift boxes out.

After the gift boxes has been gathered, Sam cried out, "Halt!"

Both Isla and Jordan who were now about to enter the house looked back while furrowing their brows in confusion.

"What is it?"

"Pull out your hands. " Sam commanded.

"what?"

"Just do it, anyways"

Jordan kept down the gift boxes as he pulled out his both hands, rolling his eyes.

Sam started digging her tiny pink handbag and took out a tiny perfume bottle and sprinkled some on his hands.

"Seriously, Sam?!"

"Come on, your hands smell awful. They'd die out of the smell" she said while defending her.

"You're nuts. Who smell hands?" he said while rubbing his hands vigorously against his shirt just to remove the smell and picked up the boxes and started walking.

"You never know" Sam said rubbing her perfume over both of her hands.  Isla stood there confused, again, watching those two walk away leaving her.

"Do I have to give  you a special invitation, Roger?" Sam spoke sharply.