f o u r t e e n

"Again. Sadder than was. Again. Saddest of all. Again."

~William Faulkner

•••

~•Eight years later, Mid of November, 2018•~

The day crawled into dawn and the birds never chirped again.

Today is the day. Today is the day when all these eight years finally will come to an end.

I.sla tucked herself into the tight blanket sitting on a parallel bed to Alvareo.

"Why are you shivering?" He asks in a subtle hushed tone.

"I am not feeling too well about today." She replies as she tucked herself more into it. "It's already 2am and I can't sleep" she further adds.

The night was shining as the slight moonlight tiptoed into the room and hugged itself over her face in a slight silvery shade.  The whole room was quite and neither of them wanted to disturb the silence. Only sharp breaths could be heard.

"Do you still want to know who sold you here?" Alvareo suddenly speaks up stirring the silence.

Isla silently nodds.

She was twenty three now. Eight years have passed without a single Michelle family member's visit. Each of four year, when every agent's family would come to meet them and spent time with them, Isla would solely remain alone.

No, not really alone. She always used to go around and spent time with Alley's. Sometimes baking cakes or learning different types of muffins.
Alvin Alley always used to treat her like his own daughter. His older son, Percy Alley used to go around with her during spring holidays for bird watching and fishing at times.

Not to mention the young Alley, Alvareo was grown up to be one of her really close friends.

Or ahem, something, ahem, really really really close than just close, ahem.

They used to roam around the Agency during the mid hours and snuck around the corridors. She probably had the best life of Earth. She grew some mannerisms and most importantly, her speech, confidence and self respect.

Her mind flutters over these thoughts when she feels an arm around her shoulders. She turns around to see Alvareo sitting beside her.

"You're gonna be just fine, trust me" he says with a reassuring smile.

"Thank you" is the only word that came out of her mouth as she gave him a weak smile.

But will she? After eight long years she is going to meet her worst nightmare. A curse. A subtle poison to imbibe.

And most importantly, the word "again."

Again.

"I am sleepy" she speaks up turning her head to him.

"Really?"

"Mhm"

"Okay" he says as he moves away from her bed.

She sleeps down cold as she tucks herself more and more into her blanket.
She is just so tired. Yes, she is but not as much as she couldn't hear that tiny, "good night, Roger" from Alvareo.

Her face suddenly lit up a little but she isn't allowed to think like that anymore.

Her butterfly days are finally over.

——

Morning at sharp six.

She gets up and incredibly she is not at all tired any more. She moves down her bed to find that Alvareo sleeping over his stomach peacefully.

"Awh.." A sudden expression squeaked out her mouth. The stood there for a second and decided not to wake him up as she head down to the washroom.

She stood in front of a mirror examining herself.Her long blonde hair was now cut down to pixies and has clumsily stays in her forehead.

She has lost weight and now has a narrow waist. And then her most favourite, hazel eyes which helds dim memory of her long lost parents. Especially, her mother has those hazel eyes which she used to adore so much.

Probably, she was really beautiful.

Her sharp brown eyebrows were ever mesmerising. Alvin Alley always used to appreciate her brows and used to make fun of Percy's who has got bushy brows.

Probably she got them from her father? She never had a chance to look how her father used to look.

She has no idea.

She sighs as she turns open the tap and washed her morning face from rushing water.

Today was their Pertination Party and looking pretty was never an option. She smirked. A sudden knock on the door was heard which brings her out of her thoughts.

"If you're there inside then close the tap, please! The water's wasting!" Alvareo yelled from outside.

"Ugh" she exclaimed as closed the tap down.

——

"What are you going to wear for the party?" Alvareo asks peeping through the curtains.

Isla, who was into her laptop looks up for a moment before going back to work.

"A dress" she replies in unison.

" Uh-huh. Right. A dress. But what dress?"

"The one I find first"

"Oh right" he says reluctantly before ducking his head back into the corridor.

Isla blankly stares at her laptop for sometime before taking a look at the clock.

It was seven pm in the evening and the party starts at eight.

She should go.

•••

Spoiler: First kiss in the next chapter!

See ya all in the next chapter! Love ya all! Stay safe everyone! ❤️❤️❤️