Chapter 3.

MARTHA

I shut the door behind me as I enter what they have told me is my room. It is a small navy blue painted room with lavender curtains and a tiny baby blue colored single bed. I flick the lights open and jump on the bed.

My ankle hurts. I frown.

It is weird that I was hit near the ankles and fell down but didn't get hurt anywhere on my head and still managed to lose my memory.

Weird.

Is that what happened?

I look around the tiny room and my eyes land on a small photograph on a side table near the bed. It is of me, only a little younger, with the other two girls, Lila and Chloe- my sisters. I smile at the photograph and then huff out a sigh, my hands dramatically running over my slightly greasy hair. Yeah, I better go take a shower.

I start stripping my clothes off when I suddenly stop and quickly stood up to check if the door is locked or not.

What would have happened if I had taken off all of my clothes and that boy had barged in? How awkward would that have been!

I blush a little remembering the way he had smiled at me. What was his name? Ah, Austin.

Opening the door to the bathroom, I carefully take off my clothes and slide under the hot shower. My blood sang under the hot touch of the warm water despite the cold air enveloping me. I wrap a towel around me as I get out of the shower and rub off the fog mist from the mirror near the shower. I look at myself closely.

I have a cat like wild green eyes adorned with blue pools of swirls emphasizing storm inside me, a speck of black smeared a little too much inside the irises.

I frown, making a cute dimple erupt on the bridge of my nose and rub my eyes as I lean back. My long dark curly hair hug my waist, some of it tumbling over my shoulders like molten chocolate. My aquiline nose is almost as pink as my chapped chalky pink lips. All in all, I look like a ghost. A solid one.

Rubbing my hands together to create some heat, I get out of the bathroom and quickly open the wardrobe, dressing into a soft mahogany jumper dress and pajamas with a pair of dinosaur socks, and prepare to run downstairs.

Voices fill me as I reach to the end of the stairs.

"But really, I don't bite." I heard Austin saying.

"We don't wanna know whatever you two did in your days of privacy." Lila makes a face.

"Seriously guys, I have been sleeping on this floor for weeks now. Can I please move in with my girlfriend for one single night?" His eyes landed on me as I pull out a chair and he grins.

"If you don't stop this, I am going to laser hand you in the face, mortal-" Lila stops when she sees me and then she smiles quite awkwardly.

"What is going on?" I smile at them all.

"Oh nothing, really. Your boyfriend wanted-"

"I wanted to spend a night with you in privacy but your sisters aren't allowing." He shrugs and my cheeks heat up. "What if I sleep on the floor? Would you then allow me to sleep in her bedroom? Like that would be still better than sleeping on this hard rock of a floor without anyone to talk to.."

Lila rolls her eyes. "I am just going to leave this up for Martha to decide."

"Oh, thank you." Austin says drily.

We finished our meal in silence barring the fact that Austin kept staring at me, our hands brushed many times and he kept humming the tune of 'twinkle twinkle little star'. I smiled absentmindedly at my fork and chewed the last bite in amusement.

"Let's go?" He looks at me and then upstairs at my room, and my eyes widen with panic.

"I-uh.."

"No." He laughs, "I am just messing with you. I am anyway heading outside. Need some fresh air. Do you want to come with me?"

"She is not going anywhere with you." Chloe answers for me and a flush of disappointment washes through me.

"Oh, yeah because I might just kidnap her." He rolls his eyes.

"Okay, you know what, take her. But do get back on time, please." Lila says and Chloe glares at her. I don't think Austin is in very much good terms with my sisters. Lila nods at Chloe and my eldest sister sighs with defeat in response, nodding.

"Cool, then. Let's go before your big sisters change their mind." He holds my hand and gives it a little squeeze. I smile back, heartily.

"Be careful!" Lila's voice follows us out and Austin shakes his head in response. He definitely doesn't like my sisters. I frown but don't say anything. I have so much to ask him. I don't know where to start.

For most of the walk we stay silent except the usual padding of our feet against the road. I look up at him and he is already looking at me, a corner of his lips tucked upwards in a smirk. My voice wavers as I suddenly blurt out,

"How did we two meet?"

He looks at me as if he was not expecting me to ask that, his lips thinning into a hard line in a dark emotion and then he opened his mouth to say something, when unexpectedly his grip grows tighter on my wrist and he turns to run back to the house. I shoot a glance back at what he is running away from but I see nothing, only darkness.

"What happened?" I asked as he was about to open the door to the house.

"Nothing. I just realized that I wanted to take a piss real bad." He said and I giggled. "Uh, why don't you go to your room and wait for me, while I ask your sisters to which direction the loo is?"

"Sure." I nod.

I hurry back upstairs but I do catch a few words in my ears as Austin approached my sisters. He said,

"We were almost attacked."