Shade#188 (S9): For the birds

CUT TO: JUNCTION BRIDGE

EXT. JUNCTION BRIDGE- NIGHT

AS THE TRAIN DRAWS CLOSER, YARDELL LOOKS UP AT SHADE WHO IS STILL EATING SUNFLOWER SEEDS.

[Yardell]

So, tell me something, why are you doing this? Could it be because you think that you're better than me or something?

SHADE DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING.

[Yardell]

I've read about the things that you've done. You put people into the hospital! Broken bones, head trauma. And for what? Because of some drugs? Because you wanted to "save" people? What kind of sick twisted game is this for you?

SHADE STILL DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING. WITH THE TRAIN BEING ABOUT 2 MILES AWAY FROM THEM YARDELL BECOMES MORE NEVOIOUS THAN EVER.

[Yardell]

Let's be reasonable. Okay? You let me go and I promise that I will quit everything that I'm doing. Cold turkey! I'll get you whatever you want! I swear!

AS THE TRAIN GETS CLOSER YARDELL FINALLY BEGINS TO CRACK.

[Yardell]

Fine, I'll play ball. Just get me off of this track!

[Shade]

Do you know what's going to happen if you're lying to me?

[Yardell]

I'm not lying. Just get me off the tracks!

SHADE WAITS UNTIL THE TRAIN GETS CLOSE ENOUGH AND THEN YANKS YARDELL OFF THE TRACKS JUST BEFORE HE IS HIT BY THE TRAIN. SHADE THEN TAKES YARDELL UP TO THE TOP OF THE JUNCTION BRIDGE. SHADE THROWS YARDELL DOWN AND YARDELL TAKES A FEW SECONDS TO COMPOSE HIMSELF.

[Shade]

Alright, you slimeball, egg-sucking, bastard, let's hear it.

[Yardell]

What are you talking about?

[Shade]

I want to know everything. How you got involved with Shellshock and the people that he's working with. And why are you building a new facility?

[Yardell]

I don't know what you-

SHADE PUNCHES YARDELL IN THE FACE.

[Yardell]

Ah! My nose!

[Shade]

Do not lie to me again.

[Yardell]

I'm trying to get out from under the thumbs of those bastards! They came looking for me! I was one of the best data brokers around at the time and they needed analytics done. I didn't know anything about them at the time and they seemed kind of shady so I turned them down. That later turned out to be a big mistake because they started leaking company tactics to my competitors. They showed up a little while later and asked again and told me about how they bugged me. I said yes this time just to get them out of my hair and they started looking for analytics for all their various schemes.

[Shade]

You didn't think about going to the police?

[Yardell]

The police? They're bought out. I mean sure nowadays Reed wants everyone to believe that they've weeded out the bad cops but that's a load of crap.