Chapter 18: She Can't Leave

I couldn't fall asleep at all. I was worried sick about Dad. I wanted to call the police, but I was certain they would tell me that it was too soon to report him missing. Besides, he was a grown man. He was probably just out drinking with some friends. He didn't need my permission to go out. But damn, just give me a heads-up first...

It was finally the day of the move. As soon as the sun started coming up, I jumped from my bed and ran to Dad's bedroom. He still wasn't home. Where was he? I looked all over the house, but Dad was nowhere to be seen. I tried calling him again. Once more it fell to voicemail.

Someone rang the doorbell. I walked over to the front door slowly. After opening the door, I saw that it was one of the movers who came to help us move. I let out a deep breath. I thought this would be the kind of scene in movies where the police would show up and tell me that Dad died in some kind of car accident.

I explained the situation to the man, and after some deliberation we decided to cancel the move. He said I would have to pay a small cancellation fee. After the moving van left, I went inside and grabbed the phone. I didn't want to wait anymore. I called the police and told them about Dad being missing. As expected, they told me to call back in a few hours if he still hadn't come home yet.

I spent the entire day worrying myself to death about him. I barely ate much. And when I did, I almost cut my finger off with a kitchen knife because I wasn't concentrating enough. I must have called Dad a hundred times now. I felt extremely lonely. The apartment felt too big for just me.

In the evening I sent a text to Junsu. I told him that I was worried Dad might have gone missing. But he didn't send me a reply either. Junsu had his days where he would be too busy to talk to me. But this time I really needed some support. I was fighting so hard not to have another mental breakdown. I imagined all kinds of things that might have happened to him. I couldn't take it. With every minute and hour that went by I would get more and more anxious.

Around midnight I finally called the police again. I was standing in the living room where the telephone was. The lights in the room were on. I was busy telling them about Dad, when someone suddenly appeared behind me pushing a piece of cloth against my nose and my mouth. I dropped the phone in shock. A mugger?! Because of the cloth, no matter how much I screamed, my voice sounded muffled. A hand was stopping my arms from pushing or punching, but I was still able to kick. I didn't have much success with that though.

I tried to see who was doing this, but the person wasn't letting me turn around. The cloth had a weird smell that was starting to make me feel woozy. Sure enough, moments later everything went dark.

I opened my eyes to find myself lying on a bed. I was feeling extremely dizzy. My hands were tied behind my back by something made of metal. Handcuffs? My ankles were tied by ropes. A thick, long piece of tape was covering my mouth. I was in an empty room with only a bed in it and a small window. If I wanted to, I could easily jump my way to freedom, as long as the window could be opened.

I tried getting up, but my dizziness was so severe that moving my body even a little bit made me feel nauseous. Did the person that kidnapped me give me some kind of drug as well?

Just when I was trying to worm my way off of the bed, the door swung open. My eyes widened. Was this really happening? What was Junsu doing here?

Junsu was wearing an all-black getup and still had his mouth mask on. But when he took the mask off, I couldn't believe it was him. Was he the one who kidnapped me?

"You're awake," Junsu said.

I frowned. I started saying something but forgot that I had tape over my mouth; it came out as a low mumble.

He walked over to me and sat down next to me. I pulled my legs up so that I could be as far away from him as I possibly could on this bed. For some reason, my action caused him to smile. He closed the distance until I couldn't back up anymore. I glared at him.

"I know you're upset," he said, placing his hand on my cheek. I shook my head to show him that this wasn't okay. But he ignored me. "You'll see why I did this soon enough."

I mumbled again.

"I can't take the tape off your lips," Junsu told me, rubbing his thumb slowly over the tape on my mouth, "Not yet."

I tried shaking his hand off by shaking my head again. Suddenly he stopped me by grabbing my jaw tightly. I flinched.

"You're going to stay here and do everything I say," he hissed, his eyes shooting daggers at me, "Don't try to escape. You'll regret it."

I wanted to tell him not to touch me, but it was frustrating that he couldn't understand me. If only there was a way I could take this tape off...

"You'll end up suffering just like your father did."

Instantly I stopped fighting back. My eyes were huge. Did... he do something to Dad? Did he kill him? Why would he do that?

Realizing that he finally had my full attention now, Junsu smirked. He let me go and stood back up. He said in an icy cold tone: "I'm not letting you go, So Young. Nobody, not even your father, can take you away from me."

He walked out of the room. Tears started pouring down my face. I couldn't believe it. Junsu didn't want us to move. He thought the best way of stopping me was to get rid of my dad. It was all my fault. I was the one who kept telling him that I didn't have a choice, and that Dad was the one shoving his plan on me. Even if this was true, I should have kept my mouth shut around Junsu. How could I mess up like this? Because of me, my dad was now...

No, I had to keep my hopes up. He didn't say that he had murdered him yet. Although the chance of him still being alive was minimal, I wanted desperately to hold on to this thought. Dad was all I had left. I thought that I could look past Junsu's behavior and still be with him, but this was the harsh reality; I couldn't. I couldn't ignore what was right in front of me anymore.

How could his mind work in such a malevolent way? He didn't want me to leave, so he kidnapped me and possibly hurt my dad in order to get what he wanted. I thought I could understand him and how his mind worked, but I couldn't.

I didn't know how much time went by until Junsu came back. He was wearing a blue shirt this time. During the time he was gone, I was trying perilously to make my way to the window. But by the time I got to the window, I noticed that we weren't on the first floor. If I jumped out of this window, I would be breaking every single bone in my body. This wasn't the same room I was in when Junsu brought me to his apartment the first time around. I didn't know where I was.

When Junsu returned, he brought me some food. I looked away from him and ignored him when he told me to eat it. I didn't move a muscle.

Annoyed, he dropped the bowl of food onto the bed, spilling some rice in the process. "You're going to cave in sooner or later, So Young," he shouted.

I expected him to leave again after saying this, but he sat down on the floor right next to me, staring intensely at me. Despite the uncomfortableness, all I could think about was getting out of here. Could I escape if he were to fall asleep?