Chapter 14: Motives

[So Young]

A few days went by and I didn't get any other pictures in my locker. Of course I was happy about it, but something felt off. I started fearing what Junsu might have done to the stalker, whoever he was. But this guy was acting as if I had absolutely nothing to worry about. In fact, he even asked me to go out with him tonight.

"I can't, sorry," I said, "Dad and I are going to be visiting Grandma. We've planned this since a week ago." It's been a while since I said 'no' to one of his ideas.

Junsu didn't say anything, so I looked back up at him. His expression was indescribable. I almost forgot this feeling. The feeling of wanting to run away before he could hurt me. But... he didn't say anything. He just walked away. Huh.

He did return later to class, but he was pretty quiet. He seemed annoyed, but whenever I asked him if he was alright he wouldn't admit he was mad.

"Fine," I whisper-shouted, "I'll go. But I want to know something first."

"What do you want to know?" he replied, writing quickly what the teacher was saying in his notebook.

"I'll ask you about it when we're alone."

As if on cue, the principal came inside the classroom and announced that there would be a meeting in the auditorium again. Immediately I got a bad feeling about it. These announcements were starting to get eerie.

"We can talk after they leave," Junsu suggested, "I know what he's going to say anyway."

I frowned at him. What was he talking about? So many questions ran through my head. But my main question was, was the stalker really someone from this school?

The meeting started during recess, but Junsu and I chose a spot on the school's roof to go talk. We sat on the ground in silence for a while. I was so nervous. What was he going to say? Why was I so certain that it was going to be about the stalker?

"What's going on?" I decided to ask first.

Junsu stretched himself out and yawned. "It's basically about the guy that was following you for a few days."

I started feeling nauseous, remembering the breakdown I had gotten with Junsu.

"You knew who it was, didn't you?" I asked.

"Yeah. Ironically it was someone I warned you about."

Did he ever warn me about someone? I couldn't remember.

"Byung-wook," he said.

"What? No way." That sweet guy who confessed to me? "No way..." I shook my head in disbelief. "Why would he do that?"

Junsu glanced at me but looked away again. "I think you can figure it out."

I thought about it for a moment. Sure, so he confessed to me. But honestly ever since I told him that it would be best if we kept our distances, he was awkward around me or he just avoided me altogether. Was he mad that I had refused him?

"But... what happened to him? Why are they holding the meeting?" I frowned at him. "What did you do?"

With an unusually calm voice he said: "I took care of it."

It? He wasn't even referring to Byung-wook as a man anymore? Or was he referring to the whole stalking situation?

"What... did you do, Junsu?" I repeated, in a lower voice now.

"He's dead," he said, looking right at me. He was trying to fight back a smile, as if he was so proud of what he did.

"No, no..." I breathed.