Chapter 23

Previously on Chapter 22

"It's okay, Gaara..." Temari said. I turn to Kankuro. He smiles at me and nod his head. "You're forgiven, Gaara... seems like she changed you, huh?" he said. "Yeah... yeah she did..." I said. "Then she must be someone important to you..." Temari said. I nod my head. "She is very important to me... I'll protect her with my life... I love her so much..." I said. They each have a soft smile on their face.

I vow to protect her with my life... no harm would come to her as long as I'm around

-Sorrow-

Y/N P.O.V

Lord 3rd Hokage have passed away from the attack. Today will be his funeral. Right now I'm wearing a black dress to attend the funeral. Everyone in the village will be coming.

I heard knocking at the front door. I brush quickly finish brushing my hair, then walk towards the front door. I open it to reveal Naruto. "Hey, Y/N-Chan..." he said, smiling weakly at me. "Hey..." I said. "Let's go..." he said. I nod my head and lock my apartment door. Then we make our way to wear the funeral will be.

It didn't take long for us to get there. I stand next to Naruto, with Konohamaru near me. I keep my head low as Konohamaru cries his heart out. I choke a sob and lean down, hugging him softly. He held onto my shirt tightly as he keeps on crying.

"Your grandpa is in a better place now..." I whisper softly. He just keep on crying. I rub his back gently. I can't believe Lord 3rd have passed away. Memories of him come flooding back into my mind. From the first day I got here... the day he escort me to the academy and the day I ran because I was feeling upset because I feel like an outcast.... he's the one who comforts me, introducing me to Naruto who've become my best friend now.

Iruka-Sensei hugs Konohamaru as I stand up. I turn to Naruto as he pulls me into a hug. "It's not fair... I can't believe he's gone..." I wailed, crying onto his shoulder. He caresses my hair. "Life is unfair, Y/N-Chan... we have to move on for him..." he said in a soft tone.

Then one by one, each one of us walks forward. We all place a white flower on top of his tomb. Tears keep streaming down my cheeks, as I place the flower. I look at his picture and gently run my hand on the surface. "Rest in peace, Lord 3rd. Thank you so much for all your kindness... I won't ever forget you..." I whispers. I wipe away my tears only for more to fall. Then I walk back towards the others. Naruto wraps his arm around my shoulder.

When the funeral ends, I choose to just head home. I don't feel like doing anything today. I stop walking when I heard my name being called. I turn around to see Naruto. He caught up with me. "What are going to do now, Y/N-Chan?" He asks. "Home..." I said. He hummed "can I come by?" He asks. "Yeah sure... I could make you some ramen..." I said. He grins and walks with me to my apartment.

After a while of walking, we finally reached my apartment. I unlock the door, opening it and let Naruto in. He walks in with me. I lock the door again. Then I lead him to the kitchen.

"Have a seat, Naruto... I'm going to start making the ramen now..." I said. He nods his head and I walk to the stove, pouring in some water. Then start making the ramen. I walk back to the dining room with two bowl of ramens. I place one in front of Naruto and one in front of me. Then we start eating in silent.

"Do you know Sasuke is in the hospital?" He asks. I nod my head. "Yeah... I plan on visiting him later today..." I said. "Oh okay... I'll go with you then..." he said. I smile at him softly. Then we finish up our meal. I grab the dirty dishes and make my way to the sink.

I start washing the dirty dishes. "Y/N-Chan?" I hear Naruto calls out. "Yeah?" I asks, turning around. He stands up from his seat, and fiddling his fingers. He seems nervous. I raise my eye-brow at him. "Do you need anything?" I asks. "Um... I Uh... um..." he said, shuttering. I raise my eye-brow at him in confusion. "Are you okay?" I asks. "I... uhh..." he said again. "I am really confuse right now... is there anything you wish to say to me?" I asks. He walks forward, closer towards me. Then he holds my hands gently. I look down at my hand, then at him.

"I... I like you, Y/N... like... a lot... I have for a while now... you're such an amazing girl... and... you've always been there for me..." he said. I can feel my eyes widened. "Naruto... I..." I start. He just stay silent as he waits for me to continue. "I like you Naruto... but not that way... I like you as a friend. Nothing more..." I said. His face saddened at what I said. "Besides... I'm kind of... taken now..." I said, looking down. "T-taken? W-With who?!" He said, in shock. "Gaara..." I said. "What??? Since when?!" He said, even more shock.

"About 3 days ago..." I said. "Oh.. well then. Congrats then... I hope you're happy with him..." he said. I hug him softly. "I'm sorry Naruto... you're like a brother to me... I can't see you as more than that" I said. He hugs me back. "I understand, Y/N... don't feel bad about me..." he said, placing a soft kiss on the side of my forehead.

"Gaara asks me to move to Sunagakure with him..." I said. "And would you?" He asks. "I don't know... all I could think of is what I've promised him.." I said. He furrowed his eyebrow at me. "What promise was it about?" He asks. "That I'll always be there for him..." I said. "So there's a high chance that you'd actually move to Suna?" He asks. "Maybe... if the Hokage lets me... but we don't have a Hokage now... since..." My voice comes to stop, I can't finish that sentence. He just nods his head understanding. "Sorry, Naruto..." I said. He shakes his head "it's okay... you love him... I understand..." he said, smiling at me. Tough I can easily see the sadness in his eyes. I look at him with a sad smile. "We can still be friends, right?" I said. "Of course... you're my best friend, Y/N-Chan..." he said. I smile happily at him and pulls him into a hug.

*to be continued*