Philosophies on Stability + Explanation

November 16. 2019.

The base upon which we stand is known for its fragility, regardless of the density of the glass. The roads we walk on have demons beneath. The crack in the glass beneath out upholding feet can only be the result of emotional weakness, weaknesses we do not show in the desire for pride and dignity. That in itself is a weakness, one that does not go away. "Be humble, be pious, be patient," whisper the souls of self-proclaimed goodness, the souls of self-proclaimed purity. This is yet another example of a base on the verge of destruction, for self-proclamation is a dangerous thing, dangerous indeed. "We have evolved to attach an emotional significance to what is nothing more than the survival strategy of the pack animal. We are conditioned to invest divinity in utility. Good isn't really good, evil isn't really wrong, and bottoms aren't really pretty. You are a prisoner of your own meat," says the all-too-wise Eurus Holmes from BBC's Sherlock. Shall we move on to the famous philosopher, John Locke? "Secondly, the immortality of the soul is asserted to be in consequence of its immateriality, as in all lipothymic cases, consistent with the idea of immortality, and immorality, and physicality..."

One may argue that the base on which we walk upon is bound to break at any given moment. We, as humans, as mortal beings with will and emotion and general intelligence, will break regardless. No genius, no abnormality (by society's eyes) can escape this fate, no one, no matter how large their mental capacity, can be saved from instability. And yet! the philosophers, the scientists, the mad... Who is to say this glass is tangible? Intangible? A construct of the mind to place more emotional significance in instinct, in the inevitable, in death? Who is to say that our judgement in the durability and fragility in glass is based solely that we are not knowledgeable of the fact that it is us, not the glass, that is at fault? We, in all our mortality, are the crack in the lens? That the glass is not there at all? Is the glass our mind, or our soul? Which one is immortal? Which one is real? I present the one fact that no one else but the mad dares to present: our stability is not there. We are drowning, constantly in deep waters of our mind and soul. The mortality of ourselves depends not on whether we can survive but whether we can swim. No one can be saved from instability only because it is not there. The aforementioned Eurus Holmes is quite right, we are prisoners of our own meat. But why not utilize the prison itself? Learn to swim.

Explanation:

"The base upon which we stand is known for its fragility, regardless of the density of the glass. The roads we walk on have demons beneath." Firstly, the aforementioned base is referring to our emotional and mental strength. No matter how dense and deep these "bases" are, they are known for their fragility. The demons refer to our past, obviously. They refer to the wounds that are yet to reopen, the memories that are yet to resurface.

"The crack in the glass beneath our upholding feet can only be the result of emotional weakness, weakness we do not show in the desire for pride and dignity. That in itself is a weakness, one that does not go away." This line applies to everyone, though it could perceived that it mainly addresses toxic masculinity. Hiding your sorrows in fear that it might taint your dignity is, evidently, another weakness shown in the average human being. It could be seen that people would recognize this as a weakness, and hide that away too, so it is simply a cycle of hurt. Obviously, that causes more "cracks in the glass".

"'Be humble, be pious, be patient,' whisper the souls of self-proclaimed goodness, the souls of self-proclaimed purity. This is yet another base on the verge of destruction, for self-proclamation is a dangerous thing, dangerous indeed." Self-proclamation is something I deem to be dangerous for it encourages arrogance in the minds of human beings. Arrogance, too, is dangerous, for that restricts other peoples' rights to their own happiness. If one is arrogant in the face of others, that leads to low self-esteem in the arrogant, and spikes the likeliness of psychological damage in the other. Self-proclaimed goodness can only be the result of arrogance, and, too, shows that not everybody's version of "goodness" is the same. Forcing it on others, again, increases the likeliness of psychological damage, hence the danger.