One's Duties (The Recklessness of Ms. Evelyn Marloe, Part 2)

May 16. 2020.

The butler holds out a tray of biscuits for EVELYN, who is sitting on a white armchair.

EVELYN: No, thank you, dear. 

AINSLIE: More tea?

EVELYN: Yes, please.

AINSLIE dismisses the butler and pours extra tea in EVELYN's cup. EVELYN adds a spoonful more sugar.

AINSLIE: So, what brings you here, my old friend? Surely your husband must be attended to?

EVELYN scoffs, AINSLIE taking no offence.

EVELYN: I don't fancy the formalities of marriage and domestic life, dear, surely you must know that. My duties remain to myself and myself only, save for my mother and father. And my sister, you know how it goes. Husbandry is not a matter I'd like to delve myself deep in, explore its depths. 

EVELYN takes a sip of her tea as AINSLIE chuckles.

AINSLIE: Of course, I couldn't forget if I tried. The independent Miss Marloe, I couldn't imagine you sitting still for so long! Haha! I apologise greatly for such a senseless query. Even for a homely woman like me, I get bored with my husband and his strange habits. Men are so vile, are they not?

EVELYN: I wouldn't say all. Some are quite humble, a sense of goodness in their souls. Do you not think so?

AINSLIE: No, I don't. Lord Williams annoyed me last night, and I did not like it. 

EVELYN: Oh? Whatever did he do?

AINSLIE: He told me such sweet things, and I thought he was a humble man. It was a shame, really.

EVELYN: [Taking a sip of her tea.] That doesn't say all men are troublesome. My father is a very pious man, a man of simple virtues. I do not find him at all to be generic, nor rude.

AINSLIE: No, no, that is not what I mean. He is of a lovely kind, and I do so wish there were more like him. The commonwealth males of our country are to doom it. I do not find them good at all. 

EVELYN: Well, we are all entitled to our ideas.

The butler comes back, with a tray of different biscuits. He holds it out to EVELYN. She cocks one eyebrow in confusion.

AINSLIE: More biscuits?

EVELYN places her teacup down on the saucer.

EVELYN: My dear friend, I do get so bored! How can you stand such a droll life?

The butler looks uncomfortable and backs away.

AINSLIE: I'm sorry?

EVELYN: I can't seem to sit still! You've everyone to do things for you, do you never feel useless? I certainly do, and I cannot stay with people constantly doing my duties. I should be able to pick my own biscuits, and so should you. I-

EVELYN pauses, and gasps the gasp of a woman with a fabulous idea. AINSLIE, slightly offended, inquires

AINSLIE: What is it?

EVELYN: Dismiss your maids and housekeepers for the day.

AINSLIE: Why-ever should I? There is so much cleaning and dusting that needs to be taken care of, and Frederick-

EVELYN: I will do all of it! You'll see! And we shall do it together, hand in hand, as buddies do. And when we are tired beyond belief, your Frederick will come home, see what needs doing, and we shall make him do it to show him that it needn't take thirteen civilians to manage a house. In fact, we'll start right now!

EVELYN smiles and runs after the butler, who is walking briskly to the kitchen, frightened. AINSLIE's mouth hangs agape in shock of EVELYN's nerve. EVELYN comes back with a tray of biscuits, and brings it down on the coffee table with a loud clatter. AINSLIE winces.

AINSLIE: Dear, are you sure this is such a good idea? You are my closest friend but this seems a bit far, isn't it?

EVELYN: Nonsense! A woman must learn to do her duties as either a wife or as a woman threatening the standards of humanity. To clean is a must, and dust with routine. Wash your dishes with fervor and bravery! Face the laundry with a reawakened spirit and feel your boredom wash away. This is no light matter, Ainslie. This may be a matter of life or death. What will you do when your servants are absent? Why, you would be completely helpless! Put your talents to use while you are still in possession of them. It's a beautiful day to be a housemaid!

EVELYN smiles and abandons her tea. AINSLIE smiles at her giddy countenance as she flits between trinkets, dusting them off one by one.

END SCENE.