Beans (The Recklessness of Ms. Evelyn Marloe, Part Three)

July 11. 2020.

EVELYN walks down a dusty dirt road. She wears a long-sleeved, powder blue regency dress* that brushes against the ground. A man sees her, lights up, and runs to her. 

DR. COILEÁIN: Why, hello there, Mrs. Marloe! How are you this fine morn'?

EVELYN: Miss, Doctor, not missus. I am doing quite well, I've had a good breakfast, a glass of water, and I got a gift!

DR. COILEÁIN: Oh my, a gift! What have you been gifted, Miss?

EVELYN holds up a satchel she is wearing. DR. COILEÁIN cocks his eyebrow in confusion.

DR. COILEÁIN: You wear that satchel everyday, Miss.

EVELYN: Oh! Sorry...

She opens the satchel, and reveals that it is filled with pinto beans.

DR. COILEÁIN: You will find I am far more confused. No matter. Where are you headed, so fancily dressed? 

EVELYN scoffs.

EVELYN: It's hardly fancy, Doctor. A simple blue dress is often worn by the folk of this town.

DR. COILEÁIN: Oh, you do not see what I see. Observe the low waist, the fitted sleeves, the flowing skirt. And oh, white lace hemming the neck line, the sleeves, and the bottom of the skirt. It's not anything to be ashamed of, Missus, for you are ravishing!

EVELYN: Miss, and I can't thank you, Doctor, for I do not believe it. I am venturing to the Addington farm, and I am to attend to their needs. Ah! It seems we are at a crossroads. I must go now, do send your wife my love!

DR. COILEÁIN: Why, of course, Miss. Oh! I had almost forgot.

DR. COILEÁIN hands EVELYN a small parcel wrapped with twine.

EVELYN: My, what is this?

DR. COILEÁIN: Consider it an offering from my wife. She couldn't thank you enough when you ran after and wrestled with our chickens. She saw how cut up you were and thought your excitement a facade for your pain.

EVELYN: Dear me, tell her I enjoyed it so much! Little Cottontail was such a dear, so feisty, a kindred spirit. It was such fun to wrestle with her. Thank you, Doctor, tell Cottontail how much I miss her and would like to meet again! Goodbye!

DR. COILEÁIN: Farewell, Mrs. Marloe!

DR. COILEÁIN heads to the right fork in the road, EVELYN muttering something about her honourifics. She continues on her journey, looking at the little farm children, faces and overalls covered in dust. They stare at her, and she feels uncomfortable, looking down at her dress. She shakes her head and smiles at the children, whilst dodging large wheelbarrows, swinging poles, and various wooden farming machinery. Soon, she reaches the Addington farm.

The Addington farm is composed of huge wheat and corn fields, beautiful flowerbeds, a long, low house and wooden tables in front of it. EVELYN stops at the door to the house and knocks very loudly.

EVELYN: Ooh-ooh! Anybody home?

Five children peep their heads through the windows as a tall man comes to the door.

OWEN: Ms. Marloe, such a delight to see you! What brings you here?

EVELYN: My, my, Mr. Addington, you think you'd know! The fair, silly!

OWEN: Oh, how foolish of me, I should have guessed. We have already made most preparations, however, whatever do you need?

The children rush outside at the mention of the fair and begin to barrage EVELYN and OWEN with questions. OWEN sends them away to play.

EVELYN: Such lovely children you have!

OWEN chuckles, sadly.

OWEN: You can eat them, your wolfiness. I hate them.

EVELYN: I've met many fathers, and I've never heard once that they despise their children. Surely you don't mean that!

OWEN: No, of course I don't, haha! Now, what is it you said you needed?

EVELYN: Deary, there is nothing I need. Recently, I have received a gift, and I wished to share it with you lovely people.

OWEN: A gift! Pray, what is it?

EVELYN opens her satchel of pinto beans and holds it out to OWEN.

EVELYN: I'm afraid everytime I am in attendance of the fair, I eat every dish presented. It is so shameful.

OWEN: Indeed. Many of the bureaucrats who, too, attend detest young women who stuff themselves-

EVELYN: Sorry? I have no shame in eating, Mr. Addington. The dishes are quite delicious and I find nothing wrong in consuming what your heart desires. No, it is ever so shameful that I eat and give nothing in return! It is a very embarrassing thing for a woman like me to do.

OWEN: I don't follow...?

EVELYN: Well, to make up for my selfishness, I have brought these beans to you. Mind you, I am not an outstanding cook, though many seem to enjoy what I make. I am in knowledge of a recipe for extraordinary bean mince pies, and have presented this gift to you in hopes you and your lovely children may help me.

OWEN: Ha! What a character you are, Ms. Marloe! Of course, I shall assist you.

OWEN directs her to a wooden table. EVELYN gives him the satchel, and he spills the beans. He calls his children to get ingredients, which EVELYN lists. They begin, with OWEN and EVELYN occasionally scolding the little ones. As they finish, it is nearing sunset, and the pies are wrapped and stacked in a large container. EVELYN calls a buggy, and they all load inside with the pies.

The buggy comes to a stop outside a large white tent. Many carriages are parked outside of it. It is dusk, and yellow light seeps out from the entrance. EVELYN salutes a few neighbours, who sigh at her, yet smile. The children run inside with the pies, while EVELYN and OWEN are exiting the buggy with the last few dishes.

OWEN: It has been a most delightful evening with you Ms. Marloe. Withthe childrens' free spirit, it is difficult to mother and father them simultaneously. You have been of utmost help!

EVELYN smiles.

EVELYN: I am oh, so glad of it, Mr. Addington. I quite enjoyed when the littlest one threw flour at your face. Such a handsome devil.

OWEN: You wound me.

EVELYN: Ha, you know I am jesting! Men are so strange. Shall we enter, your royal travesty?

OWEN: I don't see why not.

EVELYN and OWEN join arms and stride into the tent, where they serve the attendees. OWEN drops a pie down EVELYN'S back for revenge.

END SCENE.

*The dress she wears is long-sleeved and with a low waist. It is powder blue and short, stopping just at the half of her shin, and flows out.