An Operatic Triumph (The Recklessness of Ms. Evelyn Marloe, Part One)

April 17. 2020.

ROBERTO: For shame, Evelyn! For shame! To think you'd have thought for one second I'd desert you. Do you doubt my loyalty to your gracious soul? I doubt not your inclination to support and revere any male leader that may come into your plane of vision. Why must you feel anything obscure in this relationship of ours? Why must you feel unsure-ness grip your mind? Is it my manly stature that intimidates you?

EVELYN: Why, Roberto, it is simply that! Your facetious manner does not excite me as you may think. You make inappropriate comments and it aggravates me so. If you were to lie to me, and simply dismiss it as me being 'unsure', what would I do, you boastful buffoon?

EVELYN turns away, crossing her arms. ROBERTO speaks in a gruff manner.

ROBERTO: Do you think me so? Perhaps you are not as well-read as I thought you to be. Or well-educated, either. Perhaps all that Oscar Wilde rubbish has gotten to your head.

EVELYN turns back around, annoyed. She splays her arms around.

EVELYN: You claim me to be idiotic-

ROBERTO: That is not what I said-

EVELYN: Do shut up, dear. That I am not "well-read". Do you comprehend the literary powers Wilde was born with? The same powers you were, how you say? Gifted with.

ROBERTO narrows his eyes.

ROBERTO: What, pray, are you implying?

EVELYN: I'm implying that perhaps you are not very literary yourself! Your gasconade attitude does not support your plea that you are so smart, your intellect surpassing those of dirt and scum.

ROBERTO: You used the word, "plea," incorrectly.

He smiles smugly. EVELYN pinches the bridge of her nose in irritation.

EVELYN: I don't care for the correct context. Your pleas very much are pleas, you desperate crusty fungus! Shall I add on to my list of the things you are most ignorant to? Sexism! You-

ROBERTO narrows his eyes and begins to speak haughtily.

ROBERTO: Sexism doesn't exist, Evelyn. I advise you stop delving yourself into such smart-sounding fantasies because it is just not so!

EVELYN: You refuse to admit your weaknesses, a fault I find most prevalent in your character.

ROBERTO: Lady Windermere's Fan has gotten to your mind and ruined it.

EVELYN  thrusts her arms outward in an expression of her exasperation.

EVELYN: You purchased that for me!

ROBERTO: You can't expect me to know what was in it!

EVELYN: So your bold and chivalrous statement of, "My dearest, I believe you will enjoy this most of us all! It is my gift to you for your generosity," was a lie?

ROBERTO: Of course it was.

EVELYN: So you admit yourself to not be honest. You are a liar?

ROBERTO: What? No. No!

EVELYN: Oh, Robert, you foolhardy ruffian. You know not what I may be tempted to do with males who flare my temper, lose my trust, test my patience to its limits. You know not what I am capable of when faced with men like you.

ROBERTO takes on a mocking expression.

ROBERTO: Is there much you really can do, deary?

EVELYN punches him clear across the face. He is shocked. She keeps her composure, smiles with pleasure, and begins to walk away.

ROBERTO: Please, dear! I promise not to be a wretch, so wretched that your wish is to harm me! As of now my prior person discombobulates me. I love you, please return to me so we may be as before!

EVELYN turns her head to face him and smiles.

EVELYN: Stupid boy. I did not like how it was before. And don't use such slang, its unbecoming.

EVELYN strides out with a new sense of pride in herself, slamming the door behind her. ROBERTO begins to cry, not a bit sorry. His sorrow is derived from the fact he no longer has a woman to show to his frankly cretinous associates.

END SCENE.