Philosophies on Movement and Function

January 5. 2020.

In order to move, what must you do? Well, nothing, it seems. But if you're paralyzed, why can't you move? I have theorized that there are four things you must do in order to move. You must have the function to move (e.g. a limb because you can't move something that isn't there), you must have the capability to move (no physical impairments), you must have to want to move, and there must be something to start off the action.

When you are paralyzed, you immediately lose the capability. Therefore you cannot move. It is simple enough.

Now, to explain the factors one needs in order to move.

Number one: the function. You must have an appendage in order to move, yes? That's simple enough

Number two: the capability. There shouldn't be something wrong with the limb you are attempting to move. If there is, there is the chance you cannot move. Something else that is simple.

Number three: a starting point. This is more difficult to explain.

In order to explain it, I will provide you a scenario. You are walking at a steady pace. Brisk, but not fast.

Now, you are walking, and you want to slow down.

But you have already started walking, yes? You have the want to slow down, but you are not. You keep moving. Now, something has come in your way and you are not stopping. Let's say that obstruction is a person, and they hold you in place

There, you have stopped. But it took something otherworldly to do that for you.

Now, you want to start again, but you cannot. If it took something otherworldly to stop you, it must take something otherworldly to start you back up again

So let's say you've got one of those wind-up toys, yes? They need something to make them move. Now, let's say you have a fully functioning body with no physical impairments and you want to move but you can't. But if someone pushes you, you move, don't you? Therefore you must have a starting point, an incentive, a push in order to make you move. Finally, number four: the want to move. You can't move if you don't want to. If you don't want to, your brain doesn't send any signals to your limbs and you don't move. But this number four is where it gets tricky.

Lets say you have major chronic depression and are really lazy at the same time. You want to go to the bathroom. You have not been severely injured, you are not bedridden, nor is it that any of your limbs have been amputated or you have been born without them. You have a perfectly healthy body, and you want to go to the bathroom. Someone picks you up, and makes you stand, but you fall to the floor. Why? Anyone want to make a guess?

It's because they don't have the will to do it. Prior to this I consulted with someone and I said that the four main factors to move are the things I listed. But instead of "you must want to move", I said "you must have the will to move." The person I consulted with said that I was wrong, because there's a difference between want and will.

The consultant said wanting something is a feeling. Upon reflection they were right. Want is to will as temptation is to craving. Craving is something out of control, it is a need, a power. Will is just the same. Willpower is something you need in order to do anything. You may want to do something, but you must also have the power to actually do something. Let's say you want to study, but you cannot do so unless you have the power to do so. Therefore, there are four factors in all, not five. Why not five? Number one: The function. Number two: the capability. Number three: The will. Wanting is the fourth. Wanting is your starting point. Once you want something, you must act on it, therefore the wanting is your incentive. The wanting is your little push. Therefore, there are still four factors because wanting and a starting point go hand in hand.

However, there is still something I don't understand that I discussed with the consultant. My question is, how do you get from point A to point B? What does it take to go from willing your body to move to it actually moving? Surely your wanting to move is enough to send the signal/order to your brain to move your limbs. What does it take to go from willing your body to move to moving it? That's an open-ended question because I have no clue. Sadly, that's usually the point of philosophy, to have these ridiculously vague questions that rarely have answers.