Three Hearts of the Night Excerpts

June 1. 2017.

Karasu suddenly got angry after dinner. 'It's not fair to Autumn! She doesn't have a real mom and me and you are born to our mom! No matter how much she annoys me, I still love her, and it's unfair to her!'

'Karasu, we are from the same universe,' Tsuki said, but she wasn't listening. 'Okay, Tsuki, what was your mother's name?'

'Yoru.'

'That is my mother's name too.'

'So, we actually are biological sisters.'

'Wait a second,' Karasu said, in realization. 'You are from another universe, right? And you said I am from the same universe? Then that means... From this universe, there is another Karasu and Tsuki that are sisters. And Autumn... how can we find her parents?'

'Karasu, you're right! And Autumn's parents are Summer Shizun and Winter Shizun. Autumn's real name is Autumn Shizun.' Karasu's eyes widened. She remembered hearing those names, and also remembered that they always disappeared in summer and winter. It started to happen when they became young adults. Some people said they became a part of nature, or their own season.

'Tsuki. They aren't here. Today is the summer solstice, June 20. It is officially summer,

and both of them disappeared already. They became the nature of their season.'

'Yes, I noticed all the faery energy flowing through the plants and shrubbery.'

'So they aren't human? They're faeries?'

'Yes,' Tsuki replied. 'They are. Autumn is too. And so are we. When she is a young adult, she will disappear in the Autumn. They also have a daughter named Spring, but she has already come into her age.'

'So Autumn doesn't have a family. They all disappeared. But why did they leave her?'

'They left her because they thought she would kill everyone with her death magic. They foresaw her power was too great. They knew here, she wouldn't learn about it.'

'Well, should we tell her?' Karasu asked. 'Yes. If she doesn't know about it, she won't be able to learn to control it,' Tsuki replied.

Karasu and Tsuki went into Autumn's room, only to find her crying into her pillow. 'What do you want?' she said between sobs. 'Autumn. You have magic. Your real family has already become their own season. When you are a young adult, you will transform into the fall. You will be with your true family. Tsuki will train you to control your powers, so you can protect and control and perfect your season,' Karasu said. 'I will perfect my own magic.'

'Karasu, I think you're just trying to make me feel better by making me believe some dumb fairy tale. What do you think I am, three years old?' Autumn snapped. Just then, only to make Autumn believe what they were saying was true, Tsuki clapped her hands. Everything went dark. Then, she started to hold moonlight in her palm, even though the moon did not rise yet. Autumn gasped. 'Magic... is real? You and Karasu have it? I have it? Is it inside me right now?' Autumn asked, cowering. 'Will it burn me if I touch it?' Tsuki smiled. 'Not at all. It's moonlight, not sunlight. It can't hurt you. It is as cool as a smooth river stone.'

Autumn touched it, wincing in case it did burn. Surprisingly, it went in her own hand. She tossed it from hand to hand. It was smooth and felt crisp and fresh in her palm, like the Evergreen Forest in winter. 'So, just to make things clear, I have magic.' Tsuki and Karasu nodded. 'I can use it to hold moonlight.' They nodded again. 'And I will disappear when I am twenty to become my season and meet my true family.' They nodded a third time.

'Karasu, um, when I still thought you were my sister, I loved you. I loved you like you were the best thing in the world that ever happened to me. But, I thought you hated me. I thought you thought that I was the annoyance of the century. Now I ask, do you hate me?'