Welcoming Death

Loki's PoV:

Things got stranger with every passing day.

Spice went to sleep earlier than usual, refusing to eat dinner.

It had been like that for three whole days and everyday Loki watched Spice seeming more devastated than usual.

Whenever he asked, she shot him looks that could literally shoot fire. She always carried her breakfast to the hospital, refusing to eat in front of him.

On the third night, when Loki lay down beside Spice, he heard a faint sniffling. Was she crying? He gently put his hand on the back of her shoulder, rubbing a meaningless pattern on it. He was slightly disappointed that Spice had started to wear clothes to bed but he didn't want to force her into anything as he wanted her to know that she could be herself.

"If you can't keep your hands to yourself," said Spice and she sounded like she was speaking through her teeth, "I might have to leave this room."

Anger spiked within Loki at these words and he squeezed her shoulder tighter.

With glowing eyes, Spice got off the bed and took the pillow.

"What in THE NINE REALMS IS WRONG WITH YOU???!!!" Loki felt his voice rising and he hated how Spice flinched from it. But he couldn't keep his anger reigned in anymore. She was obviously hiding something and that was taking a heavy toll on her.

"Nothing," she said softly. "Nothing at all."

"Spice," Loki got up from the bed, approaching her slowly. "What is bothering you? Tell me and I will help you. I want to help you."

"I know you do." Spice's face crumpled up like a piece of paper and Loki cupped her cheeks with both his hands. "I know you will help me."

"Then let me."

"Can you let me be alone for a while? Just, can you move to the hospital quarters or something like that? I need to be alone, for a while."

"What? Why would you want that?"

"Just like that. Just let me be. Don't ask me anything for a while. It will be fine, Loki. I promise. It will be fine."

Spice's tears made Loki feel exposed but he knew Spice meant this request. He nodded slowly and watched as Spice left the room with the pillow. He heard the door to the second bedroom opening and a slight thud as it shut closed.

Spice's PoV:

Everyday got harder and harder. For the previous one week, she had walked in on Loki making out with the nurse at least four times. She heard him tell her how he had always wanted more, always needed more.

Spice had known before that she wasn't enough for the God of Mischief, but things started to spiral downwards pretty fast. She heard this persistent voice in her head that kept telling her how she was the one thing weighing him down and that she needed to free him before he lost that chance. This was the reason why she had asked Loki to move to the hospital quarters. That way, at least he could stay near the blonde nurse without worrying about Spice.

And the episodes of watching her torture through another person's eyes increased and she couldn't stop it. She almost screamed in front of her patients when she finally decided she would take a leave for a week. She knew very well she wasn't coming back anytime soon.

Loki's PoV:

Two weeks passed by and it was Christmas eve. Spice wasn't better and that bothered him. He hadn't even seen her for three days but he decided to give her space. She had even submitted a leave application to the hospital without telling him why and yet, he hadn't tried to pry the reason out of her. But now, it was too much.