Appeasement

Loki's PoV:

Loki stared mesmerised at Spice as she slowly undid her clothes for the night.

When Spice entered the bathroom, he suddenly remembered what Barnes had told him to do.

"Darling," called out Loki, "I need to talk to you."

Spice walked out wearing her semi-sheer nightdress, her eyes wide from fear. Fear? What was she afraid of?

"You look scared," studied Loki. "Why?"

"Depends," said Spice, "on what you need to talk about."

"I can promise that it is not something you need to worry about. In fact, it is something I have been worried about for a while." Loki patted the place on the bed in front of him.

"Okay."

Spice sat down on the bed in front of him and Loki deftly turned her around, undoing her braids.

"When you killed Blaise," said Loki. "He said things. And I want to know how much of it was true."

"Which truth?" Spice tried to sound nonchalant but when Loki gently threaded his cool fingers through her hair, she sighed and hung her head backwards.

"The part about you believing you were unnecessary."

Spice gulped and Loki heard it. "He was just trying to use us," said Spice but Loki knew she was lying again.

"I know he was saying the truth," said Loki, undoing another braid and marvelling at the smoothness of Spice's hair. "Aegirus' powers are specific. What they did to you would not have worked had you not believed those things. Do you really think you are unnecessary?"

"I am." Spice said these words so softly that Loki couldn't help but feel the unnerving urge to wrap his arms around her and embrace her so tight that she would have trouble breathing.

"You are NOT unnecessary, sweetheart. Why would you think that?"

"You wanted to kill me."

"What? When?"

"2012. New York incident."

Loki stopped playing with Spice's hair and turned her around, looking into her eyes.

"Which part of me made you think I wanted to kill you?" asked Loki, trying to sound calm.

"You almost did."

"Why would you think I wanted to kill you?"

"Why not? I was just a commonplace mortal with no special powers. You don't love me. You only loved Rhoanne. You are staying with me because you feel guilty about what happened to Rhoanne and you want to make up for it." Spice's voice was slightly broken but she continued speaking, looking down at her fingers which kept fidgeting among themselves.

"You think I am with you because you believe I am guilty?"

"Why else? Look at me, Loki. I am not what should stand beside a God."

"You are not beside a God. I am the Consort to the Goddess of Fire. You are nothing less than me."

"You don't love me."

The words were punctuated with sobs and a tear rolled down Spice's cheek and Loki immediately cupped her face and bent forwards, his lips almost touching hers.

"Why would you say that?"

"If you did, you wouldn't have been able to hurt me like that. And- And you enjoyed hurting me."