Chapter Ten

"Remind me again why I agreed to come to school," I grumbled to Lucas for what seemed like the billionth time in the past ten minutes. "Was I going insane, delirious, or was I bribed?"

Lucas smirked at me from behind the wheel, with Jake laughing in the passenger seat next to him. "Well, my brother and yours did agree to see you off, so you should at least be grateful that you're not going to walk into school with just one good looking guy, but three. Second, yes, you may or may not have been bribed with Nutella pancakes, but that's not the point. The point is, Frank is dead, so you can do whatever you want now, technically, but you're coming to school. The end," he finished, looking in the rearview mirror to meet my eyes.

"Ugh, fine," I muttered, turning to look out of the window to see all of the passing houses. "But I better get my pancakes by tonight, or I'm going to be really upset."

Isaac nodded from beside me. "Duly noted."

The tires of the car screeched as Lucas halted suddenly. "Jesus Christ!" I shouted, shaken. "What was that for?"

"Shut up, I just thought that the green light was red, okay? Chill out and give me a break," he grumbled, honking on the horn in frustration. He was clearly upset with himself, so I let it go.

Shrugging, I pulled out my phone from my pocket and was shocked when I saw that I had around a hundred unanswered messages. Opening up my messaging app, I saw that Mom had obviously spammed me, and I realized that we hadn't called her yet to let her know that we were alright. "Oopsies," I said, coughing awkwardly.

"What?" my brother asked, glancing up from his own phone. "Did Mom spam you too?" When he saw me nod, he chuckled, a little bit of bitterness in his voice. "Well, now's she's concerned, probably because she has to pay all the bills alone or something."

I frowned. "Mom has been trying her hardest--" I began, trying to defend my mother. 

"No, she really hasn't been," Isaac retorted, his voice rising. I glanced at Lucas and Jake, who were exchanging concerned looks.

"Isaac, just calm down," I pleaded, nudging him. "Okay, so maybe you're right, but there's nothing we can do about it. She's already on the other side of the world, and she's coming home in a month, right?" When my brother nodded, I smiled. There was still some hope for my brother. "Well, let's just ask her to come back home sooner then. I'm sure she won't really mind."

Famous last words from Natalia Aguirre.

My brother's cheeks were flaming red by the time I finished my inspirational speech. I could practically see the smoke coming out from his ears; he looked like a bright red factory building, that's how much smoke I could see coming out from him.

"You know what they call a koala that falls out of a tree, Talia?" he asked, glaring at me. I laughed nervously.

"Umm, koala-fied?" I guessed, laughing weakly at my hilarious joke.

He shook his head. "Nope, they call that koala dead," he replied, still glaring at me. "And that's what Mom's going to be when she comes home two months late." If looks could kill, I would be six feet underground, with my body dead in the middle of it all.

The car pulled up in front of the school, and I breathed a sigh of relief. "Hallelujah," I sighed, opening the car door and feeling the wonderful feeling of fresh air. Well, not completely fresh. A group of three bitches walking in front of Lucas and me kind of stank up the smell with all of their rich-ass perfume.

They stopped in front of Lucas. "Hey, so we know that you're kind of busy with this girl over here," one of them said, flicking their hand to me dismissively as if I were a dog that they were telling to go skedaddle, "but we need to talk to you about something."

Lucas shrugged and knocked on the door of the car, whispering something to Jake that I couldn't understand. Jake nodded and moved to the driver's seat before speeding away. "Now, what was it that you needed?" Lucas asked, turning back to the clown faces.

Two of the girls were giggling and blushing profusely, twirling their blonde hair and batting their fake lashes at him. The other one, who seemed to be the leader, turned toward me, and I nearly jumped of surprise. 

It was Jessica, but she looked so different! Her hair had been dyed a shade of strawberry blonde, and her eyes looked like she had put in fake contacts to change her eye color from blue to a light purple of sorts.

How is that even possible, to have purple eyes?

Maybe she paid another million dollars after her facial surgery a couple of days ago.

Laughing to myself, I walked up to Jessica and stepped in front of her, smiling fakely. "Hey, nice fake eye coloring you have there," I told her, trying to keep my laughter from bubbling over. "But it would be nicer if you could actually have a body part of yours that was actually real, you know? I mean, I understand that your modeling career would be in jeopardy and all, but models are usually beautiful, and putting millions of layers on your face makes you look more like a clown than a model." Waving to her, I stepped back and motioned to Lucas. "But of course, if Your Majesty would like to speak to Lucas, that's fine too. I just wanted to make sure that you wouldn't choke him out with all of the fake tans that you sprayed on yourself this morning, hm? I mean, he is my friend, so I gotta look out for him. Even if he did smash the alarm clock without my permission," I added under my breath, glaring at him.

Jessica looked like a fire truck by the time I was done. "Who do you think you are, bitch?" she screeched, her fake eyes about to pop out of their sockets. 

"Um well, I'm a human," I began. "As for you, it's hard to tell whether you're human or not; you have too much makeup on. Speaking of which, I forgot to tell you something. I was actually trying, I looked all around Lucas' mansion, but I still couldn't find the reason why I asked for your opinion!" I slapped myself in the face. "Silly me! I didn't ask, did I?" Waving to her again, I shooed her away. "Excuse me please, but we don't want the whole parking lot to smell of Eau De Toilette. Skedaddle and let us walk to class without developing asthma."

Jessica snorted. "Listen here, you psychotic bitch--" she began, but one of her friends pulled her back. 

"Don't," she said simply, nudging Jessica. "She's not worth it. Let's go to the bathroom and reapply our lipstick, then you can plan revenge." She glared at me before hustling Jessica away, the third girl following after them, shooting me dirty looks from behind her back.

Turning back to Lucas, I smiled at him and slapped his arm lightly. "All done," I said simply, dusting off the imaginary shit off of my hands.

He grinned back at me, rolling his eyes. "Let's get to class before you cause any more trouble."

We linked arms and walked into the high school. "We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz," I sang, skipping for some extra effect.

"You're weird," he told me, trying to hold back a laugh.

"Maybe I am, but you still love me!" I sang playfully. "Plus, you're living with me for the next few months, so get used to it."

Lucas shook his head. "Why did I ever say yes to you coming over," he fake-groaned, running his hand through his messed-up black hair.

I shrugged and replied, "No idea, but you're stuck with me now."