Chapter Twenty Six; Conversation

Though she wasn't entirely thrilled that things had been planned without her knowledge or input, she couldn't exactly stay mad nor annoyed. The Bourgeois family was far too sweet to remain angry with and each of them embraced her as if she had been apart of them for her whole life. When Mama B had found out that she could cook and bake, she had been pulled into the kitchen to share her recipes and had impressed the woman further when Amanda had shown her that she could combine virtually anything and make it taste like heaven. When she had waddled towards a chair with a hand bracing her lower back, one of the sisters had immediately rushed to her side, offering her a glass of iced tea and sat down with her. She knew enough English to hold a sizable conversation and she was pleased to be able to speak with one of them.

"When we first heard about you, cherie, it was from Lau. We were all surprised when Larry told us the news." The other woman confessed, sipping her own tea rather casually, but her eyes with alight with amusement.

"That is...a very long story." Amanda confessed, a deep sigh slipping from her as she settled back into the chair. The Twins were spending time with some of the other men playing basketball outside and had left the women to their gossip and food. "I met both of them during one of their workshops in New York close to...Oh God, four years ago. They saw some of my artwork and asked me to paint a few murals for them. The three of us hit it off almost immediately and we started hanging out whenever they were in town." She trailed off, fingertips playing over the condensation on her glass, etching random swirls absently. "At first, I had this connection with Laurent. There was just something about him that pulled me in instantly. Larry seemed happy with Melissa, off in his own world. I tried my hardest to get Lau to notice me and when we were alone, he was the biggest flirt. When there were other people around, even Lar, it was like I didn't exist. He flaunted other women around like arm candy so I started to put what I felt for him away. I tried to lock it up as best I could but as hard as I tried, I couldn't fool Larry. He noticed. He was there for me when I needed that shoulder to cry on. He comforted me every time Laurent broke my heart." She took a sip of her tea, setting her glass back down with a subtle click. "Eventually it became too much and I started shutting Lau out. Lar and I began to hang out more often and my feelings began to shift."

Her fingers toyed with the rings on her left hand, a small wistful smile playing at the corners of her lips. "He made me laugh constantly. One night he called me. Really late. I think it was close to one in the morning. I knew immediately he was upset. I rushed over to his house. There were no questions, no hesitation. He had been there for me when I needed someone the least I could do was be there for him. He broke down, confessed that he had walked in on Melissa cheating on him."

The sister snorted faintly. "That's nothing new, belle."

"She had cheated on him with Laurent."

A rapid curse in French followed.

"Exactly." Though she may not have understood when she had said, Amanda knew it had to have been a powerful curse word. "I bugged. We both did, but we both came to realize that we had grown feelings for each other. While I still loved Laurent, I was tired of being treated like I didn't exist. Larry never once made me feel that way. He had always treated me with the respect I deserved so my choice was only natural."

"I've noticed that Lau does not seem like himself."

Another sigh slipped from her. "That would be because of Larry and I. After he apologized for what he had done to both of us, he confessed to me that he had treated me the way he had because he had been scared."

"Scared of what?"

"Of what he had felt for me. He told me that he was in love with me and that his feelings for me were so strong that they had scared him shitless."

"Mon Dieu."

"He's been quite distant since then. Especially after he learned of my pregnancy and our marriage."

"Do you still love him, cherie?"

It was an honest question and one that deserved an honest answer. "Honestly, yes I do. A part of me probably always will but I love Larry more. He has been nothing but sweet and genuine. How could I not love him?"

"But you're still torn." Their sister made it a statement rather than a question. It was an observation.

"They both have my heart. I don't regret having met them. They've filled holes in my life that were missing and I will always be grateful for that. I wouldn't say that I'm torn. I've made my choice."

"But if you had the choice to choose again, if things had been different?"

"I can't say weather or not I would be where I am right now. Who knows? I'd like to think that I would, that fate put Larry and I together for a reason."

"Let me ask you another question, cherie. How would you feel if Lau started seeing someone else?"

Though it was a simple question, it felt as if someone had slammed her in the chest with a sledgehammer. She reached up to rub at her breast bone directly above her heart as if she was trying to ward off a physical pain. How would she feel if Laurent ended up with a woman in his life? Relieved? Happy for him? Jealous? Honestly, she just didn't know. She had never really given it serious thought, but perhaps she should. All she wanted was for him to be happy. He deserved to be, but there was still apart of her that ached, that felt broken. Her thoughts were interrupted when she felt her husbands blazing presence enter the room, followed by the rest of the men. She blinked rapidly, clearing away any negative thoughts as he moved fluidly towards her. He leaned down to press a kiss against her forehead.

"I need a quick shower then you, Lau and I are going shopping." He announced with a grin.

Amanda groaned softly, shoulders sagging in defeat. "Do I have to?"

He chuckled softly, smoothing the backs of his ring clad fingers carefully over each of her cheekbones. "Relax, bebe. Shopping should be fun."

"You know I hate spending money unless I have to."

Their sister snorted with amusement. "Oh, I like her, Lar."