Manners

Chapter 25: Manners

Quote of the Day: "Good manners are part of taqwa, and you cannot have taqwa without good manners."

Shaykh Ibnul-’Uthaymeen’s Beautiful Manners in Giving Da’wah   Doctor Saud al-’Ajaaji who was amongst those who accompanied Shaykh al-’Uthaymeen on the last medical trip he made to Boston (a city in America) said,“Whilst we were leaving the hotel where we were staying in, a little American boy who was with his mother stood in front of him – the Shaykh caught his attention because of his Saudi thawb and abayah – so he began to touch him on his head and to play with him. So his mother asked him to greet the Shaykh and he returned an even better greeting. Then the Shaykh said directing his speech to the mother ‘May Allah guide you to Islaam’ all during which he kept lowering his gaze.

Then the mother told her son to bid the Shaykh farewell by saying to her son, ‘Tell him have a nice day.’ So the Shaykh asked me what he said, I told him he said ‘Have a nice day.’ However some of those who were accompanying him became annoyed because of the way in which the woman was dressed. One of them even made some remarks towards her, but the Shaykh did not like this and he said, ‘O brothers this is not from the mannerisms of Islam, the mother and he son were smiling at us and they were very cordial in speech, so it is upon us to reciprocate the favour. So rather then make du’aa against them, we should make du’aa for her which by the way is the path of this exalted religion."

(an-Nur Magazine: nos. 191)

This passage also shows how no one has the right to judge anyone else. There's a saying: "who are you to tell me what I am, I know I'm not perfect but before you point fingers, makes sure your \'s are clean." And that cannot be more true. Only Allah has the right to judge us. We are all equal in the eyes of Allah (SWT). A good friend of mine told me that when asked, she doen't like to say that she is religious. Because she doesn't really know whether she is or not, Allah knows. That is why she likes to say that her life is religion oriented. That religion plays a big role in her life and that she strives in the path of Allah. SubhanAllah.

Submitted by FootstepsOnTheMoon  

Manners play a very important role in Islam. You should not only look good, but your behavior must be good as well. There are several types of manners but the most important ones are as follows:

Manners with Allah (SWT) You must be sincere in your prayers, don't rush in them or do them carelessly. Prayer one of the most vital aspects of your life. Unlike other commands of Allah (SWT) which were sent down to earth through the angel Jibril (AS), Allah (SWT) brought the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) up to the heavens to teach him about prayer. Think of the significance that prayer holds. Because you are standing before Allah and asking for His mercy. If you were to meet your favorite "Hollywood Idol", you would go out of your way to dress nicely, to talk nicely and try with your very best to impress that person, right? Well in prayer you stand before ALLAH. The Almighty, your creator, who can give anything at all. Forget that shallow materialist celebrity, wouldn't you want to impress Allah before all others? To get on Allah's good side? Well I do, that is why everything you do must be for the sake of Allah. Another important thing is to never compare anything or anyone to Allah (SWT).  Not only is that incredibly disrespectful, it is an unforgivable sin; shirk.

Manners with the Prophets It is important to respect each and every single prophet of Islam. Even the less recognizable prophets all made a difference and it is your duty as Muslims to go out of your way to learn their story. It is proper to praise the prophets. after saying the name of a prophet, it is respectful to say "Alayhi Salam", meaning "Peace be Upon Them." A scholar once said, that we are more Christan than the Christens because we say "Peace be Upon Him" after saying Prophet Isa, Jesus's name. After saying the Prophet Muhammad (SAW)'s name, it is respectful to say "Salallahualyhi Wa Salam". You must respect the prophet Muhammad (SAW), if you do not then he will not speak on your behalf on the Day of Judgement because of your lack of respect.

Manners with Parents Paradise is under the feet of your mother; if your mother is not pleased with you, then Allah is not pleased with you. Not to mention that your parents are of such a place of honor and respect that you do not even have the right to say "oof" to them. And this makes absolute sense; your parents have done countless things for you. My own parents, have sacrificed everything, just so that I can have a brighter future. A life free of the hardships that they have. I ask you all to make dua for them and all the other parents in their position.

Manners with Neighbors The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) once had a Jewish neighbour. Everyday the neighbour would throw his garbage at the Prophet’s door. Then, one day, the garbage stopped appearing. The Prophet wondered why and asked people about what had happened to his neighbour. He was told that the neighbour was sick, in bed. So, the Prophet went and visited his Jewish neighbour to make sure he was doing better and to wish him well. So touched was the Jewish neighbour that he later converted to Islam.  SubhanAllah.  Don't be strangers with your neighbors. Smile, greet them, ask how they are doing. Its these small things that will make a difference.

Manners with Everyone

- When you go somewhere, make sure you don't leave it dirty.

- Always throw you garbage away, and remove harmful things from the path so that your fellow Muslim will not be harmed.

- When you eat, eat with your right hand; the left hand is for cleaning. and unless it cannot be helped, eating with your left hand is disrespectful.

- When you are giving something or accepting something, use your right hand.

- Be nice an polite; people favor those with manners.

- Do not lie, back-bite or break promises.

- Always treat others the way you want to be treated.

There is a hadith in which the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) tells us that we are not really true Muslims until the day we want what is best for our brothers and sisters the way we want the best for ourselves.