Two 🧜🏻‍♂️

The next morning, Maria went down to the cove to bring breakfast for Josh. When she got there, she didn't see him or his tail.

Suddenly, he popped out, with a live fish in his mouth, and blood smeared on his cheeks. Maria gagged at the sight of it.

Josh ate the fish in front of her, and licked away its blood, then greeted her.

"Hello, Maria."

The woman was shaken.

"H-Hi, Joshua. I-I brought you some breakfast."

"I just had breakfast, Maria."

"I saw, but you must eat some pancakes that your mother made for you."

"No pancakes!" Josh cried; splashing water with his tail.

The water landed into Maria, which caused her to accidentally drop the pancakes into the sea. She helplessly watched as it sank into the ocean cove.

"I'm sorry, Maria, but I didn't want pancakes."

"Of course you didn't!" The woman shouted. "You just wanted to eat the live fish like the stupid merman you are!"

Maria walked away from the cove, leaving Josh alone, saddened.

He hated his merlife. He didn't like the fact that he was unwanted. His whole family hates him, because he's someone he was accidentally made into.

When Maria got back into the house, she met with Mrs. Laura, who sat by the counter, smoking a cigarette.

"So, how did it go?" She asked.

"Why didn't we kill that stupid child when we had the chance?!" Maria asked.

"Now, why would you say that about my son?"

"He's a merman! He's a mistake!"

"You're just angry because he didn't eat the pancakes I made him."

Maria walked closer to her.

"How did you know that?"

"Because its happened so many times."

"Look, the point is, that child shouldn't be here. That mermaid syndrome has scarred him for life!"

Mrs. Laura got in her face.

"And he is still my son!"

Maria stood back, choosing not to argue with her any further.

Ever since the past, things have changed. Mrs. Laura hated his son and how he was born with Sirenomelia, but now she's used to him being the way he is.

She loved Josh like a mother should love her child, but Maria's hatred for Josh consumed her.

That evening, Mrs. Laura went to visit her son. As she came into the cove, she saw him sitting on a rock, watching the sun go down.

She called to him, and he jumped back into the water and swam to her.

Josh was sad to see his mother, because she could walk with human legs, and he couldn't.

"Hello, my son. I'm sorry about what happened between you and Maria."

"It don't matter to me anymore." The boy said. "If I was human, you wouldn't hate me as much."

"I don't hate you, you're just, different."

"That's why I can't be like you!"

It pained Mrs. Laura to hear her son wish to become what he was born to be, but she couldn't help him change that.

"Josh, a merman can't become human. They can't have a human soul. That's who you are, and no matter what, you are my son. It doesn't matter to me how you are, but I can't help you get legs like me."

She farewelled her son and left. Josh went back to the rock, and watched as the sun disappeared into the sea, like his own soul crashing down into the nothingness.

As the moon appeared into the sky, it made the ocean glow like the stars.

Whenever something beautiful would happen to the cove, or around the sea, it would lift Josh's spirits. It would make him forget about the sadness he's been living in.

But his wish would still live inside him forever.