chapter three | the one with the scar

C H A P T E R T H R E E

the one with
the scar

            Veronica had been staring at Allen for a full minute, unable to form a coherent sentence that would get her out of this situation

Veronica had been staring at Allen for a full minute, unable to form a coherent sentence that would get her out of this situation. The plan was deteriorating right in front of her eyes, bit by bit. Wonderful.

"Allen..." Was all she was able to sputter out in a miserable attempt to fill the silence between the two. Life was normal around them; Ethan was mocking Bilal, the television sound was still high, the ruckus yet hadn't faded. It was all ordinary, all going accordingly.

But it was her time that relatively stopped. The moment they were having was wrapped with a tight, soundproofed bubble. It was preventing both of them from being aware of anything aside from each other. Allen wanted to speak. He had so many things to say to her, but it was her lack of cooperation that made any joke, any witty comment, any conversation or concerned questions about how she was, to be stuck in his throat.

Veronica swallowed and smiled. It was bright and effortless, despite her heart madly drumming against her chest, making the adrenaline rush through her blood and messing up her system. "How have you been?"

It was Allen's turn to stutter in slight surprise, standing straighter at Veronica's sudden mood change. He opened his mouth to reply-

Rushed, loud footsteps thundered against the hallway as Chloe emerged from the elevator. All three of them turned to face her.

"I hate my Goddamn life!" She groaned in utter frustration as she barged in the opened door apartment. Veronica's eyes widened.

Ethan casually took a sip of his beer, unaffected. "...So, what else is new?"

"What was that?" Bilal got out to stand beside Veronica, shoving his hands in his pocket.

The second elevator arrived at the same time, the doors opened to reveal Danielle as she rushed out, halting mid-way as she noticed all four of them already there, staring at her. Her face morphed in a scowl.

"Why couldn't I have been a lesbian!" She barged inside the apartment, pushing the door wider open, so it collided with the wall. Veronica flinched while Bilal shook his head.

Ethan turned to Allen. "I told you nothing's changed much."

Veronica rushed to her apartment, the guys following her lead. "What's wrong?" She asked in a vain attempt to control the damage as Danielle crashed on the couch, Chloe slamming the door of her bedroom shut. "Dan, you okay?"

Danielle straightened, shooting them a look. "Men are assholes to me. What is it about me that makes them think they can treat me like trash, huh? Is it my weight? Is it my looks?"