chapter nine | the one with the funny jokes

C H A P T E R N I N E

the one with
the funny jokes: pre-hell week day 5 pt.2

2

"You know what?" Danielle pushed the bathroom door open, walking in on Chloe who was submerged in bubbles in the bathtub.

"Get out!" Chloe snapped in annoyance but Danielle ignored her, sitting by the edge of the tub.

"You don't get to be mad at me-"

"I do-"

"-You've always been critical of my relationships and I've taken your harsh criticism without holding a grudge against you like you're doing now. Don't be a hypocrite!" She snapped the last part, drawing water with her palm and throwing it at her face.

Chloe sharply turned away and glared at her. "I'm in a five-year-long relationship, you can't compare your escapades with that," She repeated her sister's action against her, water staining Danielle's pajama pants. She shot up her seat but didn't leave, resting her hands on either side of her waist.

"And are you happy?" She tested.

Her eyes popped open in annoyance as she looked at her in disbelief. "You can't be happy all the time. Relationships have ups and downs; you don't give up on them whenever a minor inconvenience happen-"

"Minor inconvenience? Aiden gave up on it a long time ago and you're trying to pretend like everything's going fine. Just because mom does it, it doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do. We both know it would've been a whole lot easier if instead of pretending, she could've just spoken the truth."

Chloe's eyes narrowed, the sound of the front door opening and slamming was heard in the background and instantly followed by Veronica's muffled voice.

"Hello?"

"In here!" Danielle answered and Chloe's jaw snapped open.

"This is the only time of day I get where I can relax and you're ruining it-"

"Girls! I have to tell you some-" Veronica urgently opened the door and stepped in, Chloe's hand snapping up.

"No. It's still eight, you have four hours to go."

"Whatever." Veronica rolled her eyes while Danielle wiped her previous spot with a towel. She shot her head back to her. "Wait, are you still mad?"

Danielle plopped down on the now dry edge. "She'll get over."

Chloe shot her a side glare and Danielle sneered. Veronica's eyes flickered between the two. Her body jittered with nerves and she nodded distractedly. "Right, anyway, I have to tell you something," she urged, earning both their attention. She faltered. "Okay, I can't tell you that... but I can tell you something else-"