chapter twenty-two | the one where she ends it

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - T W O

the one where
she ends it

Allen and Veronica were stuck outside the Lodge tower with bags filled with snacks and a bottle of wine

Allen and Veronica were stuck outside the Lodge tower with bags filled with snacks and a bottle of wine. The electronic doors were shut because of the power cut and they had no other way of getting in. Veronica was pacing inside the alley they ran in to hide, her injury starting to cramp because of the cold but she was adamant to ignore it.

"I've got it." She halted and Allen gave her a side-eye. It wasn't the first time she uttered those words in the last five minutes.

She so hasn't got it.

"What?" He asked flatly.

"We go to a hospital!"

"No."

She huffed. "Why not?"

"It's the same situation in hospitals, Veronica. The power is out in the entire city."

"Fine. We call it plan B. What's your idea?"

"I'm thinking we call one of the guys, have them climb down the fire escape to push the ladder so we can climb up."

Veronica faltered and crossed her arms against her chest, avoiding his gaze. Her shoulder slugged. "Ugh. Ok. that's a way better idea," she said as she took out her phone. "I'll call Chlo."

"Already texted her."

She threw her arms in exasperation. "Then why waste my time coming up with a plan?"

"The service is slow, I was waiting for her reply. Besides you were too excited." He offered innocently.

She rolled her eyes at his attempt to make her flustered. "Bullshit. You don't trust my planning skills, admit it."

"Honestly, I stopped listening to you after you suggested breaking windows."

"Windows are easily breakable in the cold!"

"And what do you plan to do when snow piles inside?"

"Already thought of that but I figured it wouldn't be our problem!"

"Alright. Common ground, call it plan F." He started walking again.

"Then what are plans C, D, and E?" She tested, her voice loud so he could hear her through the whistling wind.

"Plan A, plan A, plan A."