chapter sixteen | the one with the flirting

C H A P T E R S I X T E E N

the one with
the flirting

            The moment Veronica walked inside the bar Ethan's eyelids lowered in a cold glare

The moment Veronica walked inside the bar Ethan's eyelids lowered in a cold glare. She was wearing jeans now and had put on a dark jacket to protect herself from the cold weather.

"So, in an academic environment you underdress but, in a bar, you cover up?"

"It's not a matter of setting, it's a matter of intention." Veronica offered a tight smile as she sat on the stool.

It was a busy Saturday night at Arabella's, people scattered around the place, sitting on their respective table or standing and swaying to the music. Lively chatter filled their ears as they took a seat at a table near the corner, where the warm yellow glow was dim, as opposed to the bar where it was bright and blinding.

It was warmer inside, so Veronica took her jacket off and tucked it on the back of her seat.

"What took you guys so long?" Danielle frowned and Veronica shrugged, popping a few peanuts inside her mouth.

It was twenty to nine. It took Allen a good ten minutes before he knocked on her apartment, and she had changed in the meantime. The walk from the Lodge tower to Bleecker Street usually took fifteen minutes - but they stalled. The previous tension between them evaporated while they walked at a leisure pace, drowned in conversation. It was a wonder they never ran out of those.

"We didn't take that long," she said.

"How come Chloe's not here to finish the entire bar?" Ethan arched an eyebrow and Veronica snorted.

"She has a date." She didn't bother to conceal her gag.

"Thought Bilal was coming." Allen frowned.

"He's not up for it," Ethan said before he heaved a sigh, slipping off his stool. "And, sadly, I'm calling it a night too."

"You alright?"

"Yeah. Just, not in the mood. Do me a favor and bring them back in one piece." He ushered at the girls, who shot him a look with eyebrows itched together and eyes narrowed. Allen nodded, holding back a laugh.

"I'm twenty-four." Danielle deadpanned. "I don't need babysitting."

"You're a terrible drunk." Ethan bumped her forehead with his index finger, bidding his goodbyes and leaving. Danielle swung her drink and went about her business of hopping from stool to stool. Allen turned to Veronica, leaning in closer so she could hear him.

"I'm getting a drink." His breath tingled her ear and she shivered. "Can I get you anything?"

"Diet coke is fine."