chapter twelve | the one with the false hope

C H A P T E R T W E L V E

the one with
the false hope: hell week day 1 pt.2

2

Veronica had been back from her two-hour exam hours ago, and all she'd been doing was sit on the couch and stare at the ceiling. Both Chloe and Danielle weren't home, and she was left alone with her thoughts and the idea that Allen was merely a few feet away.

She left her stuff at his place, and she knew she had to get back any minute to get them. But it's been hours and she'd been debating with herself, reaching a blank conclusion.

Huffing and standing straight, she combed her hair and tightened her fists. It wasn't that hard. She could do it. Nothing was going to happen. All she needed to do was get in, take her stuff, and leave.

She stepped outside and rushed down the hall before she could change her mind, pressing the buzzer to his apartment to quiet down her screaming thoughts.

Allen opened the door after only a few seconds, looking the same as she left him except, he had casual clothes on, jeans and a t-shirt. It had been a while since she had seen him in jeans. She looked back up at him and noticed he studied her too, and it made her gut churn. She realized that she looked cleaner than what he usually saw. Her hair was neat, and her outfit was clean. Granted, her eyebrows could use a little work but as long as she took care of the unibrow, it could wait.

"Hey," she breathed out.

"How did you do?" He stepped aside, face oddly impassive. She hated the way he was so good at putting on masks. She was oblivious of the fact she was as good at it too.

"Good..." She trailed as she got in. "Just wanted to pick up my stuff." Shu ushered at her 'CRAP' box, the only thing she left behind. It could've stayed till tomorrow - she hoped he wouldn't think much of it.

"Oh, okay."

She swallowed and took it off the kitchen island, turning to find Allen leaning against the wall, arms crossed against his chest, gaze on her. She walked back to him and he remained unmoving, his lips parting slowly as she stood closer than she'd usually stand.

She cleared her throat, offering a smile. "I'll see you tomorrow."

He nodded after a small pause, stepping aside and moving to open the door for her. She stepped outside and briefly waved, heart pounding when his lips stretched into a soft smile. She gulped her unease and walked away, the sound of his door closing only resounding when she reached her apartment.

She opened her door and shut her eyes, pressing her lips in a tight line.

Don't be a coward.