hospital

(sonia's pov- one month after graduation)

I opened my door and let Mikan inside. She seemed both tired and frantic at the same time, which wasn't unusual for Mikan but I was still nervous about why she was coming to see me.

   I sat down on my bed, and gestured for Mikan to join me, but when she sat down I noticed that her hands were shaking slightly, and she wouldn't meet my eyes.

   "Is everything ok Mikan?" I prompted. She took a second before responding, she seemed to be choosing her wording carefully, "I think it might be best if you come somewhere with me, and i'll explain on the way." she replied, giving me a weak smile.

   "Ok..." I threw on a pair of sandals and followed Mikan out of the door. She walked slowly but gradually got faster as she started down the path past everyone's cabins.

    She looked back at me, she sighed and then very slowly, said, "Gundham... he's in the island hospital right now." Mikan saw my face as it fell and quickly added, "But I think he'll be fine! He will be ok very very soon." She smiled weakly.

    "Mikan, why is he in the hospital?" I asked, quickening my pace to keep up with her. She hesitated before answering. "Well, we found him passed out in his cabin. He didn't show up for dinner, but you didn't either so we assumed you guys were together. But then Hiyoko went to Gundham's cabin so she could play with his hamsters and found him passed out on the floor. She said she tried to wake him up but he was just out cold. She came to get me everyone else after."

   I took in her words as we walked, but by the time we got to the hospital I still hadn't said anything. Mikan silently took me back to his room and let me in. Gundham was asleep on one of the hospital beds. Someone had brought a pillow from his room, along with his hamsters which were in a cage by his bedside.

   I walked over to Gundham's bedside and took his hand in my own. I heard Mikan walk out and close the door behind her.

   I pulled up a chair next to Gundham's bed and sat down. I didn't know what time it was, just that it was late. I also don't know how long I sat there before I fell asleep. But when I woke up I had a blanket over me, and it was light outside.

   I immediately looked over to Gundham's bed, he was still sleeping, so I slipped my hand out of his and left the room. I checked the digital clock in the lobby, which read 5:47, and then I started back to my cabin.

   I decided to just take a shower and get some clean clothes on. My neck hurt from sleeping on the chair the night before and I was super hungry. I was about to go grab some food and then go back to Gundham when Mikan burst into my room.

    "Sonia!" she called out, "Gundham's awake!"