batteries

(Sonia's pov- 2 months after graduation)

Two weeks had passed since I gathered everyone in the park. Two weeks had passed since everyone agreed that it was time we left this island.

When Makoto, Byakuya and Kyoko went back to the real world, they left us a present. A small remote-looking type thing with two buttons. One, to signal were in danger and need immediate help.
And two, to signal we want to leave the island.

We had already pressed the button to leave multiple times, but we got no response. Everyone has been so excited to leave and start a new life or go back to an old one if possible, but now everyone seemed kinda crushed. It had been so long since we signaled that we were starting to get worried about our friends outside of this island.

What if they were hurt? What if something happened to them? Is there anyway we could help?

I was at the diner with Fuyuhiko and Peko (who were holding hands under the table btw), and turning the small remote over and over in my hands. I had taken the initiative to hold onto it for now.
"Ohmygoodness" I exclaimed, realizing what had happened. Fuyuhiko and Peko looked at me, confused. They both had mouths full of fries and fingers covered in grease.

To show them what I was talking about, I placed the remote button-side down on the table we shared. I popped off a small piece of black plastic from the backside to reveal that there were simply no batteries in the small remote. "Looks like we forgot something!" I said, laughing. Before they could respond, I skipped my way out the diner and started down the path back to our cottages.

But I didn't go to my cottage, instead, I went to Kazuichi's. I had barley touched the door when it swung open. "Hiyo- oh. Hi Miss Sonia." Kazuichi said. Instead of the usual excitement in his voice, I sensed a small bit of resentment. I felt bad, but just followed him inside. "Hi Soda. I was hoping you could help me with something. I need some batteries, but not normal ones. They're a special size."

I handed Kazuichi the remote, who examined it and sighed. "They don't have this size battery in the supermarket, you need an A23 battery. They might have a battery supply at the Military base though. If you want A23's I would check there. Do you have any other questions?"

I looked around at Kazuichi's cabin, scraps of metal and tools were in every part of the room. Abandoned projects lay on shelves and pushed in corners. It was a mess.

"No Soda. Thank you for your help. Goodbye."
I left Kazuichi's cottage and walked a few doors over to Gundham's.

I knocked on his door, which opened within a few second. Gundham smiled at me, "What's up Sonia?"

"Want to come to the Military Base with me?"