Part 7: Far away from here

The fusion was standing still, shaking with uncertainty. Everyone's eyes followed him, like a vicious cat stalking a mouse. "Turn off the lights and stop the music!" Kevin yelled. Everything came to a sudden halt. Nothing except silence. A deadly silence. A vivid pale pink light surrounded the boy, splitting him in two. On the soft, emerald grass lay Y/N and Steven, breathing deeply as if their lives depended on it. "We fused..." Steven said slowly, placing a sweaty hand on his forehead. Y/N just stared up at the sky, and that's when it hit him; there was no deaf-inducing music, no ostentatious lights, and most of all, a very certain feeling that he was being watched.

Getting up, he shook with fear. "What happened?" He thought, looking down at his hands that were now wet from the damp grass. He was in a state of utter confusion. What was that? It was like he was there before, but different. When he "fused" for those few, abrupt seconds, he felt safe, and happy, complete and comfortable. Like this new person was his future. He turned his head to Steven, who had a frantic look on his face. He was sweating and panting heavily, his black t-shirt slightly lifted and showing his navel area, where a shimmering hot pink gemstone lay in place, similar in colour to his soft, organic, bubblegum jacket. Once they met eyes, everything became twice as disastrous. "Y-Y/N! I didn't mean to fuse with you- I swear it was an accident! Sorry I wrecked your family's party, It was all my fault." He quietly waited for a response, glaring pink. Not metaphorically- I mean his face and body was actually glowing with a blinding pink tone emitting from it. He looked incredibally stressed, and was chewing his lip in anticipation.

"You didn't ruin anything Steven," Y/N muttered. "I ruined everything from the start." He got up and held out his hand to the half gem. "But I-" Steven tried to argue, but ended up being ignored. "Mum, dad, Kevin," Y/N continued, "I'm sorry for coming, and I'm sorry for being the way I am, but I suppose I'm still your family. So, no matter if you're disappointed in me or not, I've decided now that I'll always be there for you when you need me. But not now." His mother stood stock still, her heart beating. She wanted to scream at her son for even attempting to disobey her, or for talking to her in that cold manner, but no words came out. She didn't know if it was out of fright or amazement, but all she could do was gawk at her child akwardly, her long, red fingernails quivering. Y/N's father put a hand on her trembling shoulder. "We'll fix this with Jeffery." He had spite and malice in his voice, and was also still. "Let's go Steven," Y/N said.

"Where?"

"Far away from here."

The words came out emotionally devoid of happiness, and after motioning Steven to call his dad to pick him up, they walked hand in hand away from the house. The atmosphere was tense, to say the least, and Steven had ceased to be pink. They walked for a few minutes with no communication, just the silent sound of their footsteps tapping the floor. "What did you mean, you were sorry for the way you are? There's nothing wrong with you," Steven asked, trying to spark some conversation. Y/N bowed his head slightly. "I had... certain preferences that my parents didn't like, so they.. treated me as an outcast for it." Steven didn't know what to say. He couldn't get involved, but like so many times before he felt the urge to help Y/N get better. But Y/N persisted in what he was saying anyway. "My mother gets herself angry over it, and yells at me, tells me to be perfect and 'ditch the phase' because she's scared of what society would think if her oh so prostegious family had flaws in it, my father pretends to act calm and monetone, but is somehow determined to 'fix' me, and then ends up crying and going through states of loss instead, and Kevin," Y/N said with a particularly bitter charm, "is so focused and worried that everyone thinks he's cool that he hides how he truly is, makes up lies and gossip, and acts like he's head of the family even though he's the youngest."

That description somehow felt familiar to Steven, but he couldn't think where from. He wondered what those preferences were. "Well, I know we haven't known each other for that long, I'm certain that me and my family would support you no matter what." He smiled, earning a blush on Y/N's tired face. Steven hesitantly pulled out his phone. "It's 10:00," he said, yawning. "I- I can't waaait to get home," he groaned happily, putting his mobile back into his pocket. "Today sure was a long day, huh," he whispered, "Oh-there's my dad's van! Let's go Y/N!" Steven yelled, noticing bright headlights from a cool, but old looking van. Y/N quickly texted Jeffrey that Steven's dad was taking him home, and got in the back seat, mumbling a small 'thank you' to Greg. In a matter of seconds he had fallen asleep.

(A few hours later)

Steven ☆:

Steven ☆: "Hey Y/N, are you okay?"

Steven ☆: "???"

You: "Yeah I'm fine. Can't talk right now though."

Steven was beyond worried. Had he done something wrong? Well- duh of course he did! He publically humiliated his friend in front of his family! Now Y/N wasn't talking to him and it was all his fault. What did he mean, certain preferances? Was it something to do with what Kevin said earlier before he was interrupted? And what did he decide on? Steven was so confused, and wanted to ask infinite questions, but knew that he didn't have the courage to do so. He wasn't like his old self- careless and calm and cool. Even if
Y/N told him what was wrong, could Steven even help? He guessed that family issues weren't exactly dealt with in the same way as liberating the galaxy.

Or were they?

That same familiar feeling flooded Steven's innards, sending his exhausted mind into a frenzy. But his eyes were deep and dreary, and his body was weak. He drowsily fell asleep on his small bed, dreaming of the tall man he and his new friend had created, and how he could fix the mess he'd made of their friendship.

Their relationship