Part 10: Being yourself

Steven's room opened just in time for him to bolt inside. He didn't notice that the soft, magical rose petals that the door formed hadn't closed behind him, and soon, he was utterly lost in the array of pinks and rose coloured clouds that covered the unnatural plains. "Show me my mum," he said, stepping forward gently. Rose Quartz emerged from the clouds, her layered dress fluttering in the soft wind like a loose flower, pale and pristine. Her hair was a curly, but beautifully large mess. "Hello Steven!" She sung happily, reaching forward to give him a motherly hug. Steven pushed away and shivered. "No room, this isn't her! Show me my real mum! Show me Pink Diamond," All was silent, and Rose poofed into smoke, her dark eyes wide with discomfort. In her place, a tall woman stood, magenta slitted eyes looking down, like eerie diamond shaped daggers. Her pink skin matched the colour of his organic jacket, and her hair pointed upwards in a slick, wavey swathe, almost like candy floss. She bent down, her lowest proportion the same as a gem like Jasper's full stance. Steven had to admit she was beautiful, more so then her form as Rose Quartz.

"Look, mum I'm not here for bonding, or telling secrets, or for pity and comfort. I'm here because I need advice about my feelings." Steven said angrily. "Of course, but you need to look deeper inside yourself instead of me. Instead of this room." Pink said, cupping Steven's miniscule hands in her own. "I can't tell you about true love Steven- how could I, when I loved two people at the same time. I was selfish, and you know that more than anyone." Steven wasn't exactly satisfied with this answer, he needed something more definate, and If that meant telling everything to someone he hated, so be it."Mum, please! I met this boy with these horrible parents and I fused with him by accident! Now he hates me just as I'm catching feelings for him and I don't know what to do!" There was a quiet moment of silence, as Steven felt tears slip down his face.

"Steven, I know you don't believe me, but this boy doesn't, and never will hate you as long as you be yourself! I was foolish, I let Homeworld's ideology get the better of me and lied to protect myself and my planet. I wish you could know the abuse I went through, but I doubt this room will offer that; when I created it I wanted to wipe those memories away forever. If this boy's parent's are anything like the Diamonds were to me, I can tell you that he is suffering from them, not you! And unlike me, I have faith this boy won't dissapoint you like I did. Be a good friend to him. Trust him with everything. Love him! If he dislikes you, it's his loss not yours. Just don't let him fall into what I was. A monster. I know you hate me Steven, but that's all I can give you."

That small speech from his mother cracked everything open. He wasn't afraid of her. He didn't even hate her after that. No wonder she was so awful, if the- no, the Diamonds were like Y/N's parents, then of course there was a stream of possibility that Y/N could become like his mother, out of their faults, not his. That's why it was so familiar before, at Kevin's party. Because it was like the Diamond Ball from all those years ago. He was afraid of himself, not what he had created. He couldn't go through that again- the poofing, the bubbling- the tower. Countless times his mother had been locked away, just like he was, just like Y/N could be. He understood it now, and for the first time in years he loved his mum for telling him the truth, for telling him it would all be okay. For loving him. "I don't hate you mum, I just- everything's so difficult for me- these new feelings, new powers- ever since Spinel came all I could do was hate you and blame you for everything that happened- but, even then your my mother, and I love you no matter what." Steven said softly, hugging her desperately and realising the hard texture of her naval diamond was disintagrating, along with the rest of her huge body. "I love you too Steven," she whispered into his shoulder with that achingly smooth, painful voice as the last of her dissapeared, leaving Steven to cry on the floor.

"Steven!" A gorgeous masculine voice yelled in the distance, accompainied by Amethyst's familiar "Yo! Stee-man!" catchphrase. He could just about see them in the distance, and then he remembered what his mum said. "I'm not running away anymore! I'm gonna be myself!" He thought, sprinting towards the two figures like his life depended on it. "Guyys!" He shouted, giving an ugly snort as he collided into them. No words were spoken, no laughter, no tears, not even any disturbances. Just the three of them, desperately clutching eachother for dear life as the soft breeze passed their faces in the endless, sky-high pink room of his mother.